Looking for a bass amp combo $500 or less

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by fugacity, Dec 4, 2004.

1. fugacity

Dec 4, 2004
    Hillsboro, OR

I am looking for a bass amp combo under $500 with 1x15 or 2x10. Particularly, I am looking for one that has a good low end punch. I own a Marcus Miller Jazz, so probably I don't need one that sounds too "bright".

For now, I am considering Ampeg BA115 which I tried in Guitar Center.

So, What others should I consider ?
  2. I have an Ampeg B100R that I absolutely love. If you'd enjoy a 15 combo that produces a wonderful vintage tone a la fliptop, then this is the one for you.

At the very least, if you're considering the Ampeg B115 or whatever the model is called, it'd be a great idea to try the B100R for comparison's sake. Lots of folks love their B100Rs - just do a search here in the forums for it.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  3. I was going to buy a BA115 too, but then i realized that you cant add any cabs to it, so its kinda a stale amp in that way. So I bought a peavey tnt 115. its a 1*15 and i think it has a pretty good sound for the money, and its alittle more louder than the ampeg one too. though ampegs tone is better. Plus you can add another 200 watts onto it.
  4. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    +1 on the Ampeg B100r.
  5. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Deep E Texas
    I just retired my 1963 B15N after too many years of fun (I'm the 2nd owner), and too heavy and too many expensive tubes...I talked to the owner of the local music store about a lighter bass amp, and he said "a lot of guys your age are asking me about that";). I have a setup in my studio which is also heavy, but it doesn't have to travel: a MusicMan 130 head and a Hartke 410XL cab. Wouldn't ya know it, now that I'm officially retired, I keep getting calls to play bass, and I'm too old & decrepit to move my amp! So sometime in the next couple of months, I plan to get a B100R. I looked at the BA115 (only $50US difference) but I don't like tweeters on bass amps. At the same time, I'm not a knob spinner, so I like the simplicity, too...and the 65 lb weight, which is about 2/3 the B15N or the 410XL. And you can fit casters, God's gift to us 200-year-old rock stars....