Looking for a bass combo for dorm jamming

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lwkeung, Oct 10, 2011.

1. lwkeung

lwkeung

Dec 2, 2008
    San Gabriel, CA
    Hey guys, I currently have a Yorkville XS400h with a hughes and kettner bass custom 410.

Unfortunately, I can't bring this to my college, so I'm looking for a low budget $200> combo to purchase. Will mainly be used jamming with 1-2 guitarist and occasional worship team (acoustic, electric, keyboard, drum).

I found a used Crate BT220 combo for $140, and a used Line 6 LD300 for $190.

Would the LD300 be worth the extra $50? If not, the BT220 should be completely fine right?

Any other recommendations? Minimum 100 watt Cheaper the better!

Thank you very much!

2. Joebone

Joebone Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2005
    California Republic
    try to find an intermediate-series SWR Workingman's 10 or 12, or old Fender BXR combos with 1-12, or the 1-12 Ampeg combo with the tilt-back. If you can go up to $500-600 you have a huge number of quality options (Genz-Benz, Ampeg R-100, Markbass)but at the $200 level, that's what I'd be looking for.

3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

Not a Crate fan but I would take it over the line 6. Used is the way to go, if you can lift some weight look for a Peavey TNT.

4. funkslowpony

funkslowpony

Oct 10, 2011
    You might be able to get away with the 4x10. I have a large 15 and a acoustic 150b in my dorm room and I haven't got any complaints. :bassist:

5. waleross

waleross

Nov 27, 2009
    South Florida
    My 2 cents would be a used Fender Rumble 60 or some other model. I had one,sounded great and had black carpet sides which made it durable. :cool:

6. lwkeung

lwkeung

Dec 2, 2008
    San Gabriel, CA
    I don't have transportation to bring my 4x10 :[
    I would love to have that GK MB112, only wish it was within my budget!

I'm going to give the seller of the Crate amp a call to ask about condition... etc and possibly pull the trigger and buy it!
    Thanks for the replies!

EDIT: OR! Should I buy a 2x10 or 1x15 cabinet, and just use my existing head? Would I be able to find a decent cabinet under $150? Preferably neo speakers.

7. lwkeung

lwkeung

Dec 2, 2008
    San Gabriel, CA
    I bought the Crate amp! Came out to $137 shipped to my door. Will be excited to try it out. 220watts should be plenty for everything, and I can always hook it up to my Yorkville and 4x10 for a full stack!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 25, 2021