1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a bass for reggae, old school jazz, and neo-soul/hip-hop.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sgroh87, Apr 3, 2015.

1. Sgroh87

Sgroh87

Dec 4, 2012
    DFW, Texas
    My main bass is a Carvin P5 with active electronics, and I have it set up with steel strings. It sounds great, but very bright and modern. I'm looking for a second bass to compliment it, something with a more vintage warm tone. This bass would be used for a couple of different genres, but mostly jazz, folk, some reggae, and neo-soul like the Roots.

I've always preferred P basses, but most of the reggae and soul guys seem to play J basses. I went to GC and tried an American Standard P and J and the J held its own versus the P in my ears. I'm also interested in a Jack Casady, but the one I tried had a broken varitone switch (which I've read isn't uncommon) and the bridge looks like it's a pain to adjust.

Do you guys have any thoughts or opinions? I really don't want to go too far over $1300 unless I have to.

2. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    A jazz bass will get you there, so will a P. Also consider an epiphone or Gibson eb0 or eb3 for that vintage thump with fat bottom.

3. Neveragain55

Neveragain55

Mar 19, 2014
    Connecticut
    After being a member here for a few months and having many conversations with my bass buddies, and listening to Fender P basses with a new appreciation........I would say a Fender P Bass.

They truly are well rounded in terms of being able to duplicate many sounds.

I could say the same thing about a few other brands but.........my vote would be to get a Fender as a second "do it all bass".....

4. You can get that tone with a p. maybe putting some flat wounds on it would help too.

5. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    J bass w/ Labella flats , buy a used set if you can find some, the more broken in the better. Turn the bass knob up on the amp more than you normally would and then dial the rear PU out just a bit.

6. acebase62

acebase62

Jun 29, 2010
    PJ gives you great P tones with some extra flexibility when using the J pickup in various mixes.

JJ pickups are also great and versatile.