Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a bass recommendation

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by twiz, Jun 4, 2003.

1. twiz

twiz

Jun 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    first a bit of background:

i play fingerstyle jazz and blues almost exclusively. i always use flatwounds. i always play through a polytone combo. no popping, slapping, etc. once a month i may play some fingerstyle funk, but that's about the extent of it.

I'm essentially looking for the absolute best bass possible that meets the following criteria:

1) less than 8.5 lbs
    2) some standard shape (p or jazz with or without pickguard, although a slightly smaller version a la dinky p would work fine)
    3) unfinished/satin/music man wax/oil style finish on the neck
    4) i really like the 60's jazz necks (fast!) and i love the neck on my p-bass lyte deluxe (not sure how this compares, but it's really a sweet neck)
    5) 34" scale
    6) active electronics that don't need to be upgraded or some BS like that
    7) i would *prefer* to spend less than 1.5k, but frankly i don't want to be second guessing myself later on, so cost isn't a HUGE issue...knowing that my ability is holding me back and not my bass is.
    8) i would *prefer* to be able to get the bass reasonably soon (none of this 3 month wait for custom bla bla bla)...sorry i'm an impatient guy...

2. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    First off, welcome to TB!

Off the top of my head, I can reccomend a Lakland Osborne J-bass. I don't know a lot about weights of these either, 8.5 sounds pretty light for your max acceptable. A lot of custom luthiers build great Fender styles. Lull, Sadowsky, etc.

Might I reccomend a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz, and add a J-retro preamp. KILLER active bass, all at a bit cheaper than you are looking to spend. Best of luck to you!

3. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well you could build a Warmoth using a dinky body. Plus there is an option to have it semi hollow. It would be light and you could have the things you could ever want. Some luthiers will put it together if your not inclined.

4. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i played the FENDER G. LEE jazz bass and it seems to fit your needs,you can get one for a decent price new and i have seen them sell for about 400.00 $ (US. $)on ebay. they are very well made and have that "thin" neck you seem to need. check one out it could'nt hurt (well maybe just a little bit :D )
    good luck

5. I think this bass exceeds the 8.5 lbs limit, as do most J-basses I've seen. Plus it has passive electronics, I think. But he could always upgrade with a J-retro.

6. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    twiz, welcome to TB.

I just bought a Geddy and I just love that bass. a bit of tweeking on the set up and it plays like a dream. But my recommendation would be to look for a used F Bass. I'm pretty sure that if you got a chance to play one you would be hooked. Mine is under 8 pounds and is a 34.5" scale. It has a Fender kinda vibe but is still different. The electronics are propietary as is the pickups. Just do a search here on Talkbass for some of the threads on the F Bass. It is kinda tough to find a used one as most people seem to keep them.

Adrian Garcia is one of Talkbass' most frequent visitors and he is a dealer for the F Bass. His site is www.accessbass.com

He has quite a few photos of some recent F Basses that he has sold. Really very nice stuff and a GREAT guy.

7. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I just checked Adrian's site and he's not hosting any photos of the F Basses that he has sold. He use to do that.:meh:

You didn't say whether you were looking for a 4 or a 5,6...string bass.

8. No brainer:

S A D O W S K Y !

www.sadowsky.com

I've got two of his 4 string basses and I'm not looking back for one second. They are not cheap and not less than $1.5k even used but it fits all your other criteria perfectly.

9. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Apparently, there are a lot of people that have me on their ignore list, or just like repeating what I put.....with exception of the F bass suggestion, I alreayd said it. Geesh

10. twiz

twiz

Jun 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    sorry to exclude this valuable information...

i want 4 strings only thanks

11. Jerry J

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Repeating a prior post is just a way of agreeing with you, nothing more.

To agree with you and and Jim S.;) I'm chiming in for a Sadowsky. My Sadowsky is my favorite bass. Others may come and go but I will always have my Sadowsky. To me and in my humble opinion there is no finer bass for me and my playing style. And it fits pretty close to exactly what twiz is looking for, although the price, even on the used market is on the high side, but well worth it.

12. Hey Twiz, a bass that meets a lot of your requirements is: http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/guitar.asp?model=EDA900

It's very light, it's got a Jazz-type neck, it's 34" scale, it's got active electronics (and you can get an excellent blues tone out of this guy - VERY versatile electronics).

The looks are NOT standard.

I don't know how you feel about Ibanez, but, I can assure you THIS BASS is definitely worth a listen. I just bought a 5 string fretless model, but, have played the fretted one too.

A very comfortable bass to play with a very versatile tone.

You can pick one up for about $700 w/case.

Mike

13. I agree with the others...Sadowsky all the way...I have spent a lot of money chasing EVERYTHING else and after I found Sadowsky that was it!...my opinion, the Sadowsky is a LOT of cheese but I think that you probably will have a lesser bass if you buy anything else...I guess I should put on the flame suit and get ready for the response but this is just my opinion based on owning 59 other basses and guitars and playing EVERYTHING else out there...

tommixx

14. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

Just be patient, save a couple more dollars and pick up a new or preowned Sadowsky. Once you do, it will be one less thing in this world you'll have to worry about. The best bass for what you described you're looking for. There is no substitute. I've owned or tried them all, I really have!! I own a jj 5 string and a pj4. The best preamp available, IMO!!:D

Rob