looking for a bass under $500

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Jun 9, 2004.

1. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm about to have alittle extra cash, and of course, I'd like a new bass. I'm playing a MIM P-bass right now, but its not as versatile as I'd like. I'm pretty much open to any ideas right now. Active electronics are a plus. I like slapping alot, but I mainly play with a pick. I prefer 4 strings, but I think I'd be up for another 5. I've been thinking about an Ibanez ATK, but I'm not too find of colors they can be found in.

2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would check out the Spector Q4. Great great bass for the price. Great picking tone as well as slap tone. Active tone circuit with passive EMG HZ pickups.
  3. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    Cool, I'm glad you aren't asking how to sound like Mark Hoppus.

I highly suggest you get an Ibanez SRX. They do all the things you asked for.
  4. Yah, just about the only tone I can't get on mine is a passive style fat P-bass sound and you already have that one covered. Cut throught the mix really nicely, sound good for slapping. Active electronics with a bass and a treble control.
  5. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    The Spector I'm considering, but a case would be a plus. I just don't think the Ibanez would fit my style. I've played several and like them, but I'm playing most pop/indie rock, and an Ibanez just wouldn't fit the style.

I'm definetely not ruling out buying used. ;)
  6. xax712

Dec 25, 2001
    Northwest Arkansas
    I have an Ibanez edc705 if you are interested, but advice wise hop on ebay and pick up a schecter elite custom, I played one and was floored for the price. and they look amazing. oh and I have a case for the Ibanez for about $20 shipped.
  7. Gretschluvr

Jun 8, 2004
    I just bought a Fender Deluxe 4 string Zone Bass for $575 today.
    You described it! Active equalizer, panning pickup selector with treble,mid, bass. Has Master volume. Smooth enclosed Gotoh tuners. Huge piano like lows, or growls with passion, and even deep woody tone...and more.
    It has a very nice Jazz like neck (1.5" wide at the nut), smaller body, light weight, sounds very good with finger style, awesome with pick, outstanding slap bass. This is absolutely the most versatile bass I have played. It does about all. Once the tech at the music shop set it up it has very low action, excellent intonation, easy feel to it. I cannot put it down hardly. It just makes me smile!

Gary :hyper: :bassist: :D :)
  8. In Flames

In Flames

Dec 11, 2003
    You could get a brand new Ibanez BTB400QM... Get about any tone that you desire. Or you could find a nice used 5 string version on Ebay.
  9. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    How much for your Ibanez?
  10. Racsen

Dec 6, 2003
  11. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    Check out the Schecters. They have great quality for the price. Also, check out Spector. They have a model that's being sold for $350 new at GC.
  12. patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Get an Essex P-Special and get a good setup :bassist:
  13. xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    I'm really considering a Lakland 55-01 now. There is one on eBay I'm keeping my eye on. Keep your fingers crossed that my Sterling sells.
  14. you should have a look at the G&L Tribute L2000
  15. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Ibanez BTB 400QM 4 string...

Easy Find used for well under $500...

VERY, good bass for the price, you might even be able to find a Used 6 string BTB for that price if you are interested in moving to extended range basses...
  16. MTD Kingston

They sound great when played with a pick and have a good slap tone. Only the new line are active, but the passive bass sounds wonderful as well. I'm selling mine for $300. Basically, I have too many basses and am gassing for a Stewart World 2.1, so something has to go and that something is my MTD...
  17. Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    I'm interested in that. Right now I'm out of town though, give me two weeks to get back home and see how funds are.
  18. Sounds good, send me an email or PM when you're ready to talk. There's been a lot of nibbles, just no bites.
  19. Metallideth

Feb 19, 2004
    warwick rockbass corvette 4 string standard, i played one in sam ash to dang and thats a nice growly bass, i boosted bass a buit and got a nice fat tone to, just over 500$ with tax, its a good buy, hell even im thinking about getting one.