Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a bass w/ humbucker...help!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Transverz, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Forgive my ignorance, but is there a Fender Jazz bass with a Jazz p/u at the neck and a humbucker at the bridge? Non-Fender? Non-Jazz? I tried a Schecter with this configuration and it sounded pretty good. Anything else?

I'm looking for a big humbucker type sound, but I would like a precision or jazz p/u sound for versatility. I play alt/heavy-ish rock. Oh, and one other little detail: I'm looking for as far as I can go under $1,000 :D

The only thing right now that seems to be acceptable to me is a Fender Precision Deluxe (precision at neck, humbucker at bridge). How do these sound? Any other ideas? I need help!

-T

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Try the Fender Roscoe Beck Sig. It's equipped with two humbuckers, but they're both splittable and can be switched between series and parallel modes in their humbucking configuration.

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Lakland:
    [​IMG]

Music Man Bongo HS:

[​IMG]

Peavey Millenium

[​IMG]

Carvin

[​IMG]

Although it's dual humbuckers, I'm sure you could get a great sound out of a G&L L-2000.

4. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the suggestions.

The Roscoe Sig does look very interesting. Though I've seen some very good and very discouraging reviews, of course I'll have to try it for myself. But darn, this bass is hard to find at stores! I'll keep looking though. Can the pickups be replaced with MM-type humbuckers? And still retain all the neat-o switching options? They sure are purty though...

Blackbird: Thanks also! I've never considered a Lakland but will look into it. I've read great things about it, and it's worth a shot investigating. I've never played a MM Bongo, and everyone raves about it, but hmm...it seems a bit too modern/flashy/high-tech for me. Not that it matters too much. I'll look into that too. Looks come 2nd or 3rd anyway. What about a MM Sterling? Seems like the switching options could give me what I want. Hmm. But what about a bass that your nick could be related to: A Gibson Blackbird or Thunderbird. Could those be a possibility or is it too much of an acquired taste? Guess it would help to really play one and find out. Yet another hard bass to find and play at a store.

Just for reference, I've recently been playing my Fender Jazz Standard. Nothing special, just stock Jazz goodness. Loved it for it's tone and growl, didn't like the lack of lows and bottom end I was getting. Maybe I just needed to adjust my amp, but I wasn't getting that BOOM I was looking for. I went back to my trusty Ibanez SRX300 and got more of that grind and low end OOMPH we needed. But I sure do miss the Jazz bass feel and playability. So I'm kinda looking for a compromise between both, but more emphasis on chest thumping bottoms without losing clarity, warmth, and growl. Kind of a "vintage made-over for today's use" type of sound.

I welcome all other suggestions...thanks!

-T

5. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    MTD Heir.

Gibson Tobias, model ?Renegade?.

Nearly any custom luthier.

6. I vote for the Roscoe Beck in a 5. Nice sound. Passive bass but it can has very pronounced, active sound in live settings. I heard this band play often in Orlando and the bass player only used that bass.

7. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    hmmm...sounds like you're having the same dilemma that I had when switching from Ibanez Soundgears to MM Stingrays. I used to love that slim neck and the nice pickups that Ibanez offers but I like a bass with more body. I ended up switching to EB Music Man Stingrays. The neck took a little getting used to since it's more of a "P" bass feel. I currently have 3 Stingrays and recently picked up a Bongo 4HH. I think you would REALLY like the Bongo if you like your SRX300. It will blow your mind how good the preamp and pickups sound in the dual humbucker Bongos. You'd have to find a used one to get under $1000.

Another bass that I have that you would probably really like is my 1983 Ibanez Roadstar but these are really hard to find. They pop up on Ebay every now and then. Anyway, it has a "super J" pickup in the bridge which is a humbucker as if to J pickups were put side by side on the bass. The neck PUP is essentially a "P" pup in a humbucker shape. This bass is passive but has loads of tone and sustain. Ibanez really needs to start make making this body style again and put those modern MM style PUP's in there.

8. Transverz

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    The Tobias' are great looking, but maybe not my cup of tea.

The Roscoe Beck IV is looking better and better, though I'd really want to play one first. Wish I was used to or better at playing a 5! There's been a few times I could have used it...but not enough to justify it. Other than to look cooler though hehe :bassist:

I've been having my eye on a used Sterling. I really like it's feel and tone. Would you say it could cover from Jazz tone to P-Bass to Humbucker tone? Or is it more like a humbucker that can be a bit more flexible...? How about them SUB Sterlings? Yes, I know, but hey, moneys tight here!

Actually, I SAW a Ibanez Roadstar at a pawnshop last month! I was intrigued by it but didn't know much about it. I forgot how much it was but I"m sure it wasn't all that much. Looked to be in good shape too. Darn! Should of inspected it closer. Yours looks damn good, btw! Pickups are interesting!

Oh man, I just can't decide.

-T