Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Gendall, Nov 13, 2004.

1. Gendall

Gendall

Nov 4, 2004
    I have located two different basses. Either will require 1 plus days travel. One is a Kay, the other a 30 year old Scherl & Roth. I know a bit about Kays but nothing about the other. I will be playing(after a 30 year vacation from playing) some old timey and some bluegrass. Any comparisons or suggestions about which direction to go first?

2. bassbob

bassbob

Oct 16, 2004
    Midwest
    When in doubt go with the Kay ( unless of course it has been abused and redone enough to turn it into a piece of crap. ) Old timey and BG go well with Kays. I played a fiberglass Roth 1/2 size in Minneapolis awhile back and it sounded ok. ( I have to admit the fiberglass part freaked me out at first but did play nicely. ) Good luck on your hunt. Remember don't pay til you play.
    Bob

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    You may find a bit of info on the S&R basses here at TB with a search. IIRC, I read here at some point that S&R was a very reputible student line for many years and, at some point, turned into total crap.

When, exactly, the transition occurred, I don't know.

Of course, a Kay is a Kay.