Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by valoo, Nov 27, 2004.

1. valoo

valoo

Sep 27, 2004
    I'm looking into buying a new bass and I was wondering if you might have some reccommendations as to what models I should look at. I play mainly rock and jazz and I'm looking in the $1,000 range. I don't have much experience with different playing styles and tones so I'm considering everything.

2. You have so many choices. I would get a Jazz Bass. Easy to play. Pretty much universally liked.

You have like a zillion different kinds. Here is one
    http://www.zzounds.com/item--FEN0111400

You really don't need to spend a grand a a good bass, and you need a decent combo to complete the picture.

3. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Baahh! The Highway 1's are a waste of moolah IMO. They're like MIM jazzes with a bigger price tag because they were assembled in the US. Them mexicans know what they're doing.

Also, a good bass is as important as a good amp. An amp can make or break your sound, but a bass can make or break your playing in general, which effects your sound.

4. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    +1 on the Fender Jazz nomination. I've played basses that I preferred, but as far as being flexible and well-rounded, they're hard to beat. Spectors are great rock basses too, and are versatile enough to be useful in jazz, depending on exactly what kind of tone you're looking for. People seem to like Laklands and G&L's as well for these situations, but I don't have extensive experience with either of these makes. I would recommend that you consider buying used... with a $1000 maximum, you could get a very nice bass that you might not even have considered before.

5. I say for the price of a Highway 1 Jazz you could get yourself a much much higher quality bass if you get a Geddy Lee Jazz.
    Here's a link: Geddy Lee Jazz Bass

6. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    If you don't know what you want, I'd go for a bass with a pickup combination that can emulate anything, like a Lakland 44-02, G&L L-2000, a Warwick Corvette or Streamer Jazzman, or an EB/MM Bongo.

7. Used Pedulla ThunderBolt.

[​IMG]

Playability, tone, quality, versatility and ...

:cool: :cool: :)

-b

8. Anti_Wish

Anti_Wish

May 14, 2004
    Boston, Ma

i personally recomend the highway 1 basses. american quality at a cheaper price. I like these better because of the nice soft finish...

9. valoo

valoo

Sep 27, 2004
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll take a look at the j basses, the lakland, the waricks, and the pedullas.

What is your opinion about the Ibanez SR3000E, Fender American P Bass, Ibanez SRX505 5-String, Fender Dimension¬ô 4, Ibanez K5 5-String, and MM S.U.B. 5 X04 5-String?

10. Papersen

Papersen Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2002
    If you`re looking for a Musicman go for a used Stingray, Sterling or Bongo. You can find `em under $1000.
    Also consider Lakland, Spectors and Peavey Cirrus.

You got a lot of good choices within your price range.
    Consider the tone/s you`re looking for (vintage jazz, modern jazz, P like, Hifi, several tones, etc.) playability (neck shape, scale, string separation, action, BO vs NT) looks (trad P or J shape, fancy top woods, etc.) and electronics (pickup config, pre config).
    Do some research and play as many basses as possible.

I`d also suggest you that if you plan to keep the bass, buy a used one. If you plan to sell it someday, do the same (you won`t be loosing much money).

Hope it helps a bit

Papersen

11. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Point being they arent really American quality....

I would suggest look into any Musicman or Spector, whatever you like.