1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NicholasF, Jul 19, 2012.

1. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Jan 17, 2012
    Hey guys, Im looking for an Electric bass that has the same thickness and feel of the neck of an UB, no EUB's please. I need to play electic for a gig, and I enjoy playing upright more(sorry:D), and i havnt used an EB in over 6 months.

2. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Jan 17, 2012
    any suggestions?

3. aasti3000

aasti3000

Jul 18, 2012
    Funny you posted this. I'm searching for a bass also and narrowed down to fender Jazz 5 string (because of my huge hands) and a Musicman 5 HH. I love the fender P bass also but I'm gonna start with one of the first 2. Here's what I found when testing them out. The P bass gave an Amazing punch and a nice smoothed out tone. The Jazz had a deeper sound then the P and a little different thump when thump slapping. The Musicman Stingray 5 HH had a LOT of tone action and I think if I spent more time testing it out I could have dialed in the sound of the Jazz...don't know about getting the P sound out of it but it was extremely versitle. I didn't really care for the Musicman 5 H. The double pick ups gave more tone. Musicman basses are kind of heavy. But the advice I got from this website made me lean towards the Jazz 5 string. Try testing those out. Might want to try the Precision bass (P bass) also. But I'm a newbie, hopefully some experience players will answer your thread post. Good luck.

4. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Jan 17, 2012
    The P-Bass was a thought, but it isnt enough "chunk" for me with the neck. I like a baseball bat, thats almost like a DB neck, body shape doesnt matter to me. Thanks!

Any more?

5. Streetgang

Streetgang

Jul 10, 2012
    Brum U.K.
    Warwicks are considered pretty chunky

6. musicianary

musicianary

Jun 23, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    Yes. Warwicks have HUGE necks. They're great, just pricey.

7. Dug2

Dug2 Supporting Member

Sep 24, 2011
    chicago
    ^ well, i dont think so streetgang. and i have normal size hands too.
    idk, just preference i guess

8. Avalon

Avalon

Feb 28, 2009
    What about a Takamine TB-10? The neck does not appear to be large, but it does bear some elements of an UB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WEIXECdi-G0

Otherwise, maybe a fretless 7 string? Something like a Conklin? The 7 string has a different dynamic, but it's definitely something to dig your meathooks into. Check out the collections of John Turner and others in these threads.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/extended-range-bass-club-thread-520281/

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/extended-range-bass-club-thread-part-2-a-716376/#post10052070

9. Do the Epiphone EBO's have a chunk neck? They are cheaper then a Warwick.

10. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    I play both. And as you do as well... upright is such a different creature. Chunky neck and no truss rod. So if you're really looking for a similar sort of neck... check out Wishbass. Necks with no truss rod... chunkier than most.

11. Squier Precision Deluxe's have mondo necks. At least their 5 strings do.

12. NicholasF

NicholasF Guest

Jan 17, 2012
    Im looking more at thick than wide, almost like the old C necks on the 50's fenders, but maybe even thicker