1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by MaggiePlaysBass, Jul 27, 2012.

1. MaggiePlaysBass

MaggiePlaysBass

Apr 30, 2012
    Ohio
    Hello everyone!
    I've been playing a cheap Eastman bass for the past 4 years, it's worth about $1,000 and is a half size. I'm ready to move up to a better quality bass but kind of need to stay at a half size, maybe a 5/8. Any advice on where to go? I'm in 9th grade and plan to go into bass performance in college and as a career, so i'd like to stick with this bass for a while but not get outrageouly expensive.
    Thanks!

I'm also looking to sell the Eastman so if you're interested or have advice on that topic feel free to contact me. Thanks again.

2. GrowlerBox

GrowlerBox

Feb 10, 2010
    Nude Zealand
    There's a very helpful wiki attached to this site designed to help with precisely your question. I'm on my ipad just now, and finding the link would be a huge PITA, but someone will doubtless provide it.

Grade 9 - is that around 14 years old in the US? In that case, you're likely to grow quite a bit, quite fast, and quite soon. You will certainly want a 3/4 size bass for college. If Esperanza can do it ... My 2 cents (about NZ$0.0275). :)

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Here's the link to the buying guide. I agree with Growler about careful consideration of a standard "3/4" size bass. You'll have more options available, it will be much easier to sell, that day can be put off longer if you can move into that size now, and, all other things being equal, the 3/4 will sound better.

4. MaggiePlaysBass

MaggiePlaysBass

Apr 30, 2012
    Ohio
    I definitely wouldn't be opposed to a 3/4. However I'm only 5'2'".....thoughts on that? I've heard that a 3/4 with more sloped shoulders would work better also. It seems that finding a 3/4 would be easier also, I haven't even come across any 1/2 through all my online searching. I just don't want it to be an issue playing in a higher register on a larger sized bass.

5. Kristin Korb and Esperanza Spalding are two examples of fairly petite women who play 3/4 size basses. If the bass is well set up with the proper overstand/neck angle, higher positions should not be a problem. Your suggestion about the sloping shoulders is excellent as well.

6. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Look into a Quenoil style bass (a la Rabbath) for very sloping shoulders. A number of builders use that pattern.

7. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    I think nicely sloping shoulders and a healthy overstand would be the way to go. I'm guessing that you're primarily a classical player. Thinking about what might fit the bill, it seems that the Upton Karr model might be a good option to consider.