Looking for a beginner e-bass :)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shisume, Oct 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Shisume

Shisume

Sep 30, 2017
    Hello !
    Im kinda new to this thing and i wanted to start learning playing for quite some time but i havent found any time for it. But now here i am looking for Advice ! :)
    So i was looking through some threads and saw that people usually get a yamaha or ibanez one for a budget/beginner instrument. I wasnt quite sure what of these two to get because alot of the people say that both have good quality.
    Addition to that, do i need something else than a speaker and the bass itself ?
    Thank you !

Ps: Sry for my awful english ^^" (not my native language)

Michael Schreiber likes this.
  2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    The quality of beginner instruments has improved. Another good option is Squier, the vintage modified line especially. They are also easier to sell if/when are looking to get something better. Other than that, you need an amplifier, instrument cord, and I would get a clip on tuner.

Consider used, especially if you have someone who knows instruments who can with you to check them out. Also look at pawn shops.

design, DrummerwStrings and Shisume like this.
  3. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    You might be interested in the Ibanez Talman TMB 300 or 310...pretty much the same model but the 310s have sparkle finishes.
    I've never been an Ibanez fan until I tried out one of these...great bass for $300.
    Might be a beginner bass, but believe me, it's gig worthy! 2mn4ra0.jpg

4. Shisume

Shisume

Sep 30, 2017
    Oh first of all thank you for the advice ^^ sadly i dont know any people that play instruments. Are there a price range i should look for while getting the bass ? i was thinking about 100-200 maybe even 300 depends

5. Shisume

Shisume

Sep 30, 2017
    Looks Good but im not a big fan of sparkels hehe. But i will keep it on my list thank you !

jd56hawk likes this.
  6. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    There are some Squiers in the classified on this site for $250 used. That's a fair price. It's hard for me to tell you what to spend. But there are plenty of bassists here that use that instrument to gig regularly.

7. Gretsch Electromatic Short Scale? I think they are $300 new but I saw a few under $200 on craigslist last I looked. I have one and its very well put together, but thats if you want a short scale.

chip134 likes this.
  8. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Plenty of color choices, short scale models, too. Ibanez-_Talman-_Bass.jpg 20171001_190012.jpg

9. Shisume

Shisume

Sep 30, 2017
    How important is the neck of the bass because my hands are rather small :oops:

10. Ibanez necks in the SR, GIO, and Mikro series have thin profile necks and are easy on the hands and wallet. You can check out their specs on their web site, but you should hit up a Guitar Center or Sam Ash and try them in your hands. It should feel comfortable for you to play or you will not be so encouraged to feel like picking it up and playing it for long periods of time. Only practicing for long periods of time will your skill level improve. Welcome to the low end and good luck.

11. Maxdusty

Maxdusty

Mar 9, 2012
    Michigan USA
    It's important to have a bass that's comfortable for you to play on. Some things to consider, the weight of the bass, the size of the bass neck(long scale/short scale) and the width of the neck itself. I would recommend trying some basses out - Ibanez Soundgear basses have some of slimmest necks out there and are pretty light, slimmer necks and lighter in weight to the Yamaha basses. I've had owned quite a number of these basses. Also other brands to consider are some of the Squier basses (perhaps a Squier Jaguar SS -short scale, maybe a Tobias Toby.
    You can get a better bass for your budget if you buy used but the caveat here is that you should know what things to look for - what issues if any to look out for or better yet, if you know a bass player who can help you evaluate the condition of the used basses when you look a them.

12. jjmuckluckjr

jjmuckluckjr

Mar 24, 2015
    Buldog is right, “beginner “ basses are way better than even 20 years ago. A Squeir Jaguar is $190 from Musicians Friend. It’s a short-scale; 30” as opposed to the standard 34”. Makes it much easier to start out on, but is good enough to actually play onstage. It’s no toy. I’ve been playing over 40 years and I picked one up last year. I love that puppy. Good luck.

azwipe and Shisume like this.
  13. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    It depends. A shorter scale or thinner neck might be easier for you. On the other hand, I've seen children play a precision (thick neck electric bass) as well as a double bass without problem. All the more reason to try the bass to see how it feels for YOU.

14. Where are you located?
    US or elsewhere?
    It may help if we know your shopping options.

I'd recommend that you start looking on line to familiarize yourself with what's out there, and prices.
    There are a lot of good on-line stores. You shouldn't have any trouble finding them.
    However, if you are interested in used instruments, the places I look at most often are The Talkbass classifieds, eBay, Reverb, Guitar Center, and Music Go Round.

BTW, I have the Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale and it plays really well. I got mine used for $99 used. Got a used Fender Rumble 200 Combo for $199. You just have to frequent the usual places that sell used. You can find good deals out there. And if you are not comfortable buying used, there are advantages to paying a little extra for new, like warrantys, customer service and liberal return policies.

Good luck and welcome to TB.

15. Shisume

Shisume

Sep 30, 2017
    I live in Germany :) Yea i will check out some stores tomorrow and will try to get a feel what suits me the most

16. Shisume

Shisume

Sep 30, 2017
    Any Website out there that are good for ordering bass guitars and equipment for it ?

17. buldog5151bass

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    . Lots. Sweetwater, guitar center/Musicians Friend. But best bet is to go to a store, try the instrument there, and buy it there.

Shisume likes this.
  18. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    Thomann E-Bässe

19. DonaldR

DonaldR

Mar 26, 2012
    I play bass for more than 30 years, and I have basses over $2000.
    But I have a Yamaha TRBX 505 that came my first bass and a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz 5 that came my backup. Those basses are not very expansive and are very very good.

Michael Schreiber and chip134 like this.
  20. shodan

shodan

Mar 23, 2005
    Central Midwest
    I had a really nice MIM Jazz. I bought a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz just because I liked the big block neck, just like this one (Fender Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass '70s - MN, Natural (O-4254) | eBay) You should be able to find one used for <$300. Was there a difference? Yes, the MIM was probably a 10% - 15% better player. But you'll go for a long time before you really need to look for something better. And I have small hands also.

Here are a couple of MIM that could wind up being in your ballpark also:
    2012 Fender Standard 3 Color Sunburst Jazz Bass (Made in Mexico) | eBay
    Fender Standard Dimension Bass IV Rosewood Fingerboard Bass Guitar Ghost Silver

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021