Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking for a Big, Mean, and Nasty amp...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thumbman, Nov 3, 2005.

1. thumbman

thumbman Love that low end

Nov 2, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Hey guys i was hoping someone could help me out.

I currently have an SVT 3 and a 410 HLF and there are two problems. Not loud enough for my purpose and the svt is too nice. I need something with heaps of low and also that Mid/Low mid growl. I also want a lot of watts too be heard but also to have the headroom because if i keep running the svt the way i have to it's not going to last very long.

I was thinking GK 1001RB or the Sansamp RBI with a poweramp...any ideas?

Any help would be fantastic

I am very open to suggestions

2. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Whats your budget? Do you like the way your 3 sounds? Do you want a clean or tubey colored tone?

3. thumbman

Nov 2, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Well im actually talking in AUD so its difficult to tell.

I love the tube sound, but its not really, RIGHT at times. Unless you can suggest something. I need plenty of growl.
    I play 80's rock sort of stuff and I have little use for a "polite" head.

BTW, i know the perfect thing is an all tube head, but atm i cannot afford an all tube setup with enough power.

4. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Does Traynor export to Auzzieland? Their all tube head is pretty cheap here in the US at $600. What heads do you have avalible to you?

5. thumbman

Nov 2, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    I think i may be able to but it would be hard to find/ship.

Anything big any nasty thats pretty commercially available
    i also know i can get the schroders, acmes, etc through greensquare.

Does anyone have an opinion on the GK?...is it loud is it mean?
    I've read a lot of reviews and most people use them for funk but i though with the boost they would get a lot of use in rock. any thoughts?

6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I once rented a GK 800RB for a gig. Since it was almost the same price, I rented for a week rather than 2 days.

I would call it clean and trebley. I usually like to EQ flat but I had to roll off the treble something fierce.

So I would not consider it "mean". YMMV. Smart buyers always read the fine print.

.,.. ..,., .,.,.,,.,. ,.,..,...,.,., .,.. ..,., .,.,.,,.,. ,.,..,...,.,.,

7. Hi Thumbman,
    Hi to everyone in this forum too!

Have you thought of keeping the svt3 just for the pre-amp?
    Then just find a 2nd hand poweramp for nicks. Use the svt3 for one cab, use the poweramp for the other. Is this what you're really after tho?

I'm an aussie too - so finding things cheap is not easy.
    I have pretty much the same prob right now.
    I'm upgrading from MY svt3pro - just bought a SVP-CL pre-amp - now looking for a nice poweramp.
    I'm thinking about the CROWN, SAMSON or PEAK amps, anyone head anything about them?

Thanks guys,
    smo

8. shanmag

shanmag

Jul 27, 2005
    i think he might be wanting a different sound than the svt 3pro???

9. mahrous

mahrous

Aug 13, 2005
    Egypt
    Nikki Sixx plays through Ampegs!

10. thumbman

Nov 2, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yeh i thought about using it as a preamp, but although i love the sound i need something with more guts...its really hard to explain.

If i went with a pre amp/power amp combination are there with the power amp putting out about 1000w a side, what would be a good cab...Should i go with an all in one cab or go with 2 cabs to move more air?

Any suggestions on mean/growly amps would be awsome.

11. popinfresh

popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    You can get the Traynor over here i'm pretty sure...

What bass are you using, strings etc? I find that helps alot.

But seens that you need headroom.. The GK can get you a sort of clean growl, if that's what your after..

12. thumbman

Nov 2, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Yeah thats what im after thanks...

thanks everyone

if there are any more suggestions ill keep checkings...

13. thumbman

Nov 2, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    ohh and im using a thumb five and warwick yellow label strings as my main bass.

14. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    As stated in a thread I've just posted I think that my m pulse is very dirty growly it can have lots of lows and stuff which might suit you. So what about a walkabout as a pre and then power amps

15. Waabs

Waabs Employee, Musical Instrument Retail

Aug 1, 2004
    Australia
    Yeah the Traynor is available over here. From memory the retail is something like $1600.

16. Vinpaul

Vinpaul

Aug 24, 2005
    Melbourne, Aus
    yeah the traynor in available at the music store on brunswick street, forget the name, and its 1600.

The GK could be cool for 80's rock, good grunt, if you want distortion stick a sansamp in there as well

17. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    hey,

the traynor is avaliable on brunswick st. it's a frontier music, which used to be fretted instruments and they have the matching 210/15 cab there too!

least it was there 2 weeks ago when i was there...

i also 2nd the gk with a pedal sansamp or otherwise. really punchy, and reliable. perhaps the new programable bass di for flexabilty....

18. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    yeah... i forgot to mention that the traynor cab doesn't get the best reviews, try the head with something else too....

but, i find my gk has as popinfresh put it, a clean growl when you crank it up. its sharp in the treble and agressive, not hifi and warm like an eden. i think if you try the gk, try it with sansamp too, just don't scoop it to much...

19. BIG, MEAN, NASTY?? Peavey Classic 400.

20. Either switching to an all-tube head (biggest meanest nastiest Mesa Bass 400+, or Peavey Classic 400) or going with the RBI and a power amp.

I prefer either the 400+ or the RBI+power amp. After years of searching, these two amplifications systems were perfect for me.

The RBI is surprisingly flexible in terms of how much dirty nasty you want to dial in, and in conjunction with a lightweight power amp (QSC PLX), you've got a great amplifier at just under 30 lbs.