1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a bit of advice...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kaputsport, Oct 14, 2009.

1. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    So, I have a pedal board that appears to continue to grow, and grow and grow, with no real end in sight.

I have thought about midi switching as an alternative to tap dnacing, and I was wondering if anyone has done it, and if so how successful you were.

I am looking at a Champion Pedals Looper (Prototype unit) with 8 loops and a voodoo lab controller. The list of pedals is below, and I will have to experiment with the order. Hopefully, I'll soon be biamping and what not to keep solid low end in the signal, but I am up for options...

Pedals:
    -Akai Deep Impact (Need to figure out switching)
    -Human Gear Animato
    -HBE Hematoma
    -Big Muff
    -Line 6 FM4
    -Bass Synth Wah
    -Boss OC-2

I have an FX25, an LS-2 and a few others floating around. Prunes and Custard will be coming as well as a bass whammy...

I so want to do the swithing thing, but at the same time I am worried about losing options with pedals. What does the group think?

2. I personally don't like huge big TB strips, as I wanna keep my board below ten pedals!

I prefer a small TB looper - two loops - with effects in groups.

It makes it much easier with only two loops to simply switch from one sound to another and back again, without having to do more than one (double-switch) stomp.
    Or I can bypass the whole lot without having to even change my foot position.
    That said, I don't have ALL my effects in the loops, just the main ones that like to be grouped together.

3. before you jump on an 8-looper, consider which effects you'll want to use together frequently. that way, you can assign a sub-loop and save a slot or two. another approach is to put pedals that you WON'T often use together into a loop, like say a "dirt" loop and a "filters" loop. Then, of course, you have to consider which pedals have problematic bypass or switching - those will require a loop of their own if you want to get around their shortcomings (i'm thinking primarily of "vintage" pedals here)

also, keep in mind that a pedal or two can go ahead of or after the looper, especially if the bypass is clean and/or it is always on

seems to me you oughtta be able to get by with a 5er if you plan carefully

4. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    See, that is the thing...

Deep Impact: I use 7 of the 9 presets, mixed with dirt and clean depending...

Animato: I use this alone, bl.ended with the OC-2 and blended with the DI

Muff: See Animato

Hematoma: See Animato

FM4: Not really useful yet, but I can see it being useful soon

BSW: I use one or two sounds, randomly

FX25: FM$ covers the sound as well as the DI closely... Not sure if it'll make the cut

Prunes and Custard: See Animato (Soon)

Bass Whammy: Will see use, just not totally sure what for yet

The issue is all of them are alone, and together, sometimes stacked, and I want to eliminate turning each on and off all the time. It would be easier to do presets, but at the same time, it wouldn't...

What a problem to have, you know what I mean?