Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a book...but nothing too elementary..

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Abemas, Jan 5, 2006.

1. Abemas

Abemas

Dec 15, 2005
    I was wondering if you guys could recommend a general instructional book for bass that skips all the basic music theory (for example: this is a whole note....now lets learn 4/4 time...this is what a repeat does.) I'm a long time musician so I really don't need all the theory review, but most of what I've looked at in the stores seems to be about half theory and half technique instruction. I realize that most starter type books are going to have some of this but can any of you recommend anything that isn't full of theory basics?

Thanks!

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Try Mike Dimin's CORE method. I just got my copy... you can find more info here and at his forum

3. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    Connecticut
    m
    I'll second Mike's "CORE" method. I have a copy and it's very easy to use.

4. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    The Improvisers Bass Method by Chuck Sher. This one is very good.

5. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Although Chuck's book is pretty good - it still, as most every other bass method does, teach a bottom's up way of playing. Where the root of the chord/mode/scale is always on the bottom and everything goes up from there. Those methods, which go all the way back to Mel Bay 1, unfortunately teach us a style of playing that creates an "intermediate plateau". A place where further development is hindered because of a myopic mindset. Because we always are thinking Bottom's Up!

There really is only 1 book out there that radically changes the way we look at the instrument. There is only 1 book out there that is a complete method that is both easy AND gives the reader the abilty to be more creative.

Mike

6. Abemas

Abemas

Dec 15, 2005
    Could you be a little more specific as to what the book entails? Everything stated thus far about it seems to be a bit cryptic...including your post this morning that seems to have been deleted.

7. BassChuck

BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Where can I find Mike's book? I've done my Googles of the usual suspects and they all were no-goes.

I'd really like to have a look. BTW... if posting this information violates a rule here on TB, please PM me.

thanks.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    direct from Mike... he gives the info in the bassnutz thread I linked to as well as his own forum that is linked to his website (that I also linked to). :smug:

9. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Well ...now that I've been asked.

The book makes use of the fact that the bass is a symmetrical instrument, both vertically and horizontally. I, therefore, break up the fretboard into 5 simple geometric patterns, based on different starting points within the major scale. Thinking in 1 key, you can use the 5 patterns to move right up the fretboard, being able to play every note in that key in a matter of minutes. By learning the starting point for each key (easily done) - you can play every note in every key up and down the fretboard. Additionally, since there are 5 patterns in every key, moving up the board, if you apply the patterns to a single position, you'll get the ability to play in 5 different keys in a single position. What that means, in the first 3 positions of your neck (Open, 1st, 2nd and 3rd) there are up to 18 different keys to play in.

The book really gets us out of that "put your middle finger on the tonic and play from there".

This is just the first bit of the book - the rest is applications to make you a better player, soloist, etc.

If you want a copy, PM me and I'll tell you how to get one

Mike