1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a budget 5 string...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BoyaFromNagoya, Dec 19, 2011.

1. BoyaFromNagoya

BoyaFromNagoya

Aug 26, 2008
    Istanbul
    I've been playing 4 string jazz basses ever since I started playing. JB's are now a part of me... Whenever I pick another type of bass, I miss the comfort of a 4 string JB.

Now I'm filling a friends space in a hard rock band. It's not what I've been used to, as in my older bands I played jazz and funk... The problem is; a lot of their own songs recorded with the use of a 5 strings. So I'm on a market for one. But there is no way I can buy another Fender JB in 5 strings, considering the price.

Yamaha BB 415 looks like a good option but really need some advice... Anyone?

2. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    You might check out BaCH, made in the Czech Republic. I have one of their P-type 5-strings and can testify that it's quite well made, with good woods and adequate hardware. The price is low compared to the quality. The BJB Jaybird is their Jazz copy, also available as a fiver:

MODEL BACH BJB - B&CH Music

3. TRichardsbass

TRichardsbass Banned Commercial User

Jun 3, 2009
    Between Muscle Shoals and Nashville
    Bassgearu, Music Industry Consulting and Sales. Tech 21, NBE Corp, Sonosphere.
    Check out the Brubaker Brute Club thread here.

4. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    Just string your Jazz BEAD (fill the nut a bit if necessary - it's way cheaper to replace it later on than buying a 5er) If it's hard rock, I doubt you'll need the G string that much anyway ;)

5. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Squire Vintage Modified Jazz Bass 5. Still has the JB vibe, 5 strings and can be had brand new for about $350 or less. and it's a pretty bass too. It's giggable without having to upgrade anything.

6. Megazap63

Megazap63

Apr 12, 2009
    London, UK
    MTD Kingston basses are very reasonably priced and play and feel like much more expensive instruments. Fantastic value IMHO.

7. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    ^^ This, Best bang for the buck out there. I love mine.

8. The Hawk

The Hawk

Oct 17, 2006
    Atlanta
    Grab a Cort Curbow 5 string. The body is Luthite and the fretboard is Ebonol (neck is maple)
    Nice action, easy to play and great sound. Mine came with a Fishman preamp and Bartiloni pickup.
    You can find a used one for around 250 or so USD

9. Megazap63

Megazap63

Apr 12, 2009
    London, UK
    Yeah, I love mine too! I recently sold a really nice Stingray 5 but have no regrets since the MTD feels better to play, has a much more focused low B and a wider variety of tones, and the electronics are vibrant without being too aggressive (like the Stingray).

10. StuartV

StuartV Finally figuring out what I really like Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2006
    Manassas, VA
    Yamaha BB415 is the first thing I thought of when I saw the title of this thread. They are killer basses. And MusiciansFriend was selling them brand new for $300, with free shipping, about a year ago, so you ought to be able to find a nice used one for cheap!

If you step up to the $400 - 500 range, a Peavey TL-Five or Peavey Millennium (not BXP) would be feasible. They are both awesome, made in the USA, basses that can sometimes be found for that cheap.

11. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    The Brubaker Brute is the obvious answer to the 'bang for the buck' 5 strings, but in your case you might like a G&L Tribute L2500 a little better. It's more Fender styled and has tighter string spacing. Hard to beat either one, they are just different. The Brute is more modern and sleek, the G&L is more Fendery old school.

12. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    I've been looking at 5ers too. For whatever reason the Squier VM Jazz V just feels wrong to me. Oddly enough the Squier Active Deluxe Jazz V is one of the two best 5ers I have tried so far. The other is an Ibanez SR505. The Peavey Millenium 5 AC BXP plays pretty naturally for me too. There are plenty of choices in your price range but you may actually have to try a lot of them to find the one(s) that suit you best. I don't notice much difference between various four string basses but I am pickier about 5ers for some reason. I don't think it is string spacing either since the two Squiers are pretty wide while the Ibby and Peavey are narrow.

Ken

13. Teknoman

Teknoman

Nov 21, 2011
    I WILL SECOND THAT HAVE 4BANGER, SWEET FOR THE PRICE:D

14. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    What the used bass market like in Istanbul?

Do any of the major retailers deliver to Istanbul?

What's a 5 string Fender JB cost in your area?

Here a link to over 800 bass builders many in Europe or who ship to your location.

15. BoyaFromNagoya

BoyaFromNagoya

Aug 26, 2008
    Istanbul
    Thanks for all the input ...

It's really hard to find these instruments in Istanbul. Even if you do, they are usually very high priced.

That's something I never tought of. Will try it on a spare bass. At least for the fun of it. Thanks.

That seems like a nice suggestion. I know some friends who use curbows as their main bass. Will definately check out.

We have second hand shopping sites, nice ones too. sahibinden.com for example.
    srvmusic.com is another store where you can find really nice vintage instruments, from time to time...
    But, there really is a huge price gap in Istanbul. You almost have to double the US prices on new instruments. Even in used market. And when you you buy online from international sites, the custom policies are really strict. You have to pay a lot extra to pass through it.

Anyway,
    I am passing the Squier option for now. I now they are well made and sound really nice with some tweaking and a little upgrade. I have VMJ Fretless which plays and sounds great. But I really don't like to buy one for a fiver for some reason.
    So, I will give Curbow a try... And check Yamaha BB 415 in the local store. BTW How does 660$ for a new Yamaha BB415 sound to you?

Thanks a lot...

16. phillybass101

phillybass101

Jan 12, 2011
    Artist, Trickfish Amplification Bartolini Emerging Artist, MTD Kingston Emerging Artist. Artist, Tsunami Cables
    Just goes to show you that YOU have to go out and play these basses and decide for yourself. What feels right to one person feels awkward to the next. There are a few good bang for the buck choices these days. and there's always an SX to consider.