1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a builders opinion - what neck to buy?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by bluesy_92, May 21, 2011.

1. bluesy_92

bluesy_92

Aug 25, 2008
    My P-Bass neck is twisted, and I plan on hopefully replacing it before it gets worse. I'm looking for a thin neck, with a good tone for rock and metal.

I plan on a Warmoth Jazz bass neck. However, I've never tried Warmoth, and I think that an Allparts or Mighty Mite neck might have a more natural sound, since it lacks the reinforcing rods.

Of course, I've never used necks from any of these brands, so as far as price and quality, I'm not so sure.

Also, my neckplate screws don't go in perfectly straight, so I will need to dowel and re-drill my body if the holes are pre-drilled, so I would prefer a neck that has no screw holes.

Can anyone recommend a neck that is thinner than the regular p-bass neck, IF POSSIBLE larger than a Jazz neck (if not, a jazz neck will be find) and has a reasonable price and quality?

2. john grey

john grey

Apr 19, 2011
    Oracle, Arizona
    Was the original bass a quality instrument and did you enjoy that neck?

IF the existing neck could be repaired for 1/2 - 1/4 the cost of the new neck would that (to you) be a solution?
    Warmoth makes a good neck; several companies do. Have you priced out what a quality neck would cost in relation to the existing Bass? I only bring this up because if you have a decent, well-made Bass and repair the neck well, you will get a fair price should you sell it.
    Investing $400+ in a quality neck is a good thing if you're going to keep it; if you sell it you may not see that $ back in addition to a the Bass price. -{No pun intended}-

3. Randyt

Randyt RAAPT Custom Wood Productions

Jul 21, 2010
    Barrie, Canada
    I have purchased many Warmoth Necks (guitars and basses) with excellent results...I always call first!!

4. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I grow organic carrots and they are not for sale
    I like Mighty Mite necks.

5. DTF

DTF

Feb 14, 2010
    queens
    musikraft seems to have great options for bass necks, customizable radius etc