1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a certain thump

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by plowboy, Apr 25, 2006.

1. plowboy

plowboy

Apr 24, 2006
    I am searching for a certain bass sound. I'm not sure how to describe it but it is very focused, thumpy, punchy, with NO boominess and not bright or metalic sounding. I've tried an older Peavey 130 watt bass combo with two 15" blackwidows and a Fender 25watt bassman. Don't like these at all. They seem to have way too much boom and not enough thump. It think the sound is a very simple sound without a lot of color. I wish I could explain this better. It's almost more of a physical thumping effect than a bass sound. Dan Fogelburgs "High Country Snows" album has the sound that I'm looking for but I hear it elsewhere as well. It seems that the closest that I have got to it myself is with a little Fender Champ II (eighteen watts, open-back). Wow! What's wrong with my ears anyway. My larger MesaBoogie MkIII did not have as good of a bass tone (too much color, character, boom, and mud and not enough thump).

I'm really ignorant about all this. I have a really nice 1968 Fender AB165 Bassman that I've thought of getting a cab for, and I've also thought of trying the Mesa Boogie Studio Preamp to try and get close to that little Champ II sound. For me, the big rigs designed for bass just have too much boom. I've noticed also that an open-back tube guitar amp seems to have the simplicity of sound more than a closed-back ported cab. Hey, maybe I don't know what good bass sound even is. It's got me to wondering.

2. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Try using Flatwound strings.

3. billbern

billbern

Sep 11, 2004
    Daytona Beach, Fl
    Endorsing: Inearz In-ear Monitors
    I'm not real sure what you're looking for, but I think sealed cabinets have a tight thump but of course can lack low freq. extension.
    Maybe you could try some bass mods, such as flats and palm or felt muting to control the "boominess".
    Bill

4. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I agree.
    Try this first; you might be happily surprised.

5. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    I think you are seeking the flatwound + tube amp + sealed cab sound.
    Go out shopping and try some out.
    Bring your fender along and see how it does.

I also have a Mesa studio pre and it does work good for bass. I have used it as a frontend, into many tube amps with good results.