1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

looking for a certain tone

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Oric, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Oric

Oric

Feb 19, 2008
    Georgetown, Kentucky
    I'm posting this in Effects, because most of my question involves effects.

I'm looking for a certain tone- I want a fat synth bass sound, the kind used in Parliament's Flashlight, George Clinton's Atomic Dog, and Dr. Dre's **** wit Dre Day. You know, that fat, farting low synth bass P-funk/G-funk tone. I know it's normally done on keyboard synth, but is there a bass synth pedal that would do it?

(I'd probably have to get a five string bass to get those low notes- may even have to downtune it)

2. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I think the Flashlight sound is different from the other two. I think I can get somewhat close to the former with my Bass Microsynth, but the latter have so far eluded everyone in the effects forum. You can run a search and find suggestions from the past, but none seemed definitive other than "buy a synth."

3. almix12

almix12

Apr 3, 2008
    id say almost all the synth pedals can have their knobs twiddled or their sliders... slided to have that done
    soooo boss syb3 and 5
    EHX BMS
    possibly not the digitech BSW though...

edit:might i add that the BMS has an octaver built in, but for the other, possibly pair it up with an octaver

4. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    My experience does not reflect that.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Me either. I've got what I consider a pretty sweet synth thing going on my board, but really nothing but an actual keyboard synth will deliver the goods perfectly. (my combo is a Zvex Fuzz Factory, Menatone MailBomb filter, and sometimes a bit of octave down)

6. almix12

almix12

Apr 3, 2008
    really? just the farting deep "bbbbbbbbb" sort of sound? no timebased anything really