1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a cheaper alternative to the Fodera nickel wound strings.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by TrevorG, May 8, 2018.

1. TrevorG

TrevorG Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    So I'm kinda used to my Mark bass K1 Super Combo relaying my Spector NS5XL and am now trying to settle on the right strings for the whole outfit. I want a bright "fat duck" rather than rock bright sound. I practice for hours a day and am finding I'm killing the edge on a string time quite quickly(about three weeks before the fizz has gone). Want a bright nickel wound that doesn't cost the earth or a bright set of regular round wounds that last a while longer than the rest. Any suggestions?

2. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Inactive Commercial User

Jul 28, 2006
    LA California
    The Brains: FretNation.com
    Buying them in quantities of 10?

MrLenny1 and TrevorG like this.
  3. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    I'd say Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys, myself. Regular or Hybrid slinkys have been my main go-to round wound string for many years. But, 2 things;
    - While they're pretty inexpensive - and readily available almost everywhere - here in the U.S., I have no idea if it's the same in the U.K.; and,
    - Round wound longevity seems mainly to depend on the player. I can make Slinkys last quite a long time - 2/3 months, in fact - which is one reason I like them. OTOH, some folks around here can kill a set of Slinkys in an afternoon. I have no idea where you'd be, on that time line... still, hope you find something that suits your needs.:thumbsup:

TrevorG likes this.
  4. TrevorG

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    Ironically I bought some super slinkys yesterday. Coming down a guage has transformed a bass I thought I knew so well. Lost a scintilla of deep bass but the neck is so responsive now, it almost feels like a new guitar. These are nickel wound but we'll see how long they last. They cost £28 which is ok but I wouldn't buy a set every month!

Last edited: May 10, 2018
  5. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    I was afraid of that. They are more expensive than they are here; quite a bit more, too. The last set of Hybrid Slinkys that I bought here,from Sam Ash, cost me $22.13 - including tax. And SLaPiNFuNK sells them for way less than that, at bassstringsonline.com. I hope those things last a good long time...:cool:

6. TrevorG

Nov 30, 2012
    U.K.
    The Fodera strings cost more than £50($72) to get sent over here!!!!

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 12, 2021