1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a chorus to use exclusively.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Asa Samuel, Mar 9, 2008.

1. Like the title said, i'm looking for a chorus to use all the time, so i dont want anything too overpowering, sort of like a duff mckagan kinda sound (not exact but something close)

I have thought about the EHX clone theory quite a bit (as mysticboo will confirm) but i'm till not sure, i need to hear some more soundclips before i make my mind so any heads uptowards any would be great.

Sadly money is an object here, i cant really go much further above £60 so roughly $120 wich i know is limiting but its not the dumps either.

Thanks,
    Bass Junkie.

2. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I like my Clone Theory but it does add some white noise or hiss to your signal. Its not an unreasonable amount of noise but it is a little irritating. Other then that, it is a very nice chorus pedal that works very well with bass.

Personally, I would try out some others as well if possible. Some chorus pedals will suck away your low end or muddy up your tone. Some are thin sounding, some are very processed sounding.

The Clone Theory really does sound fantastic and its true bypass. if you deal with the noise, then it really is a fins choice.

3. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I have a really old DOD FX62 Stereo Bass Chorus that I picked up off ebay for 30 bucks. It's very natural and subtle.

4. beefhat1

beefhat1

Jun 20, 2006
    Oregon
    I have a Boss CE-5 and it works very nicely on its own. I pretty much have it running all the time, since it is subtle and generally makes my tone a little fatter. It can be pretty cheap used, too.

5. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    I use the boss CH-1. I set it for really deep chorus and don't use it all the time. its not terribly noticable and they included a effect level control, so you can set it to be as subtle as you want.

i like it a lot better than the EHX choruses

6. Mharris

Mharris

Sep 25, 2007
    Missoula Montana
    If you want a chorus to use all the time and that isn't "too overpowering" I would definitely recommend the Boss CEB-3. VERY quite, very subtle, and very affordable. I love it.

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The Boss bass chorus is alright, the Clone Theory would be perfect if it weren't for the noise, and the DanElectro Cool Cat is better than both of them. Sometimes I wish I still had mine, but I've abandoned all my chorus pedals these days, it's all filters now.

8. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    +1 on this one. They can be had for cheap and they are very natural sounding. Built like a tank, too.

9. Green Mind

Green Mind

Aug 28, 2007
    BC/AB, Canada
    I've got a Coron C600 Chorus, it's very subtle and creates no excess noise. I got mine for 17 bucks and half a pack of licorice nibs.

10. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
  11. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yeah. Especially if I DID leave a chorus on (can't quite picture that for... like Cold Sweat or Jungle Love), I'd want to do it with my CEB-3. You can dial-out the chorusing on the low freqs, so it doesn't muddy up your tone. ..unless you WANT it muddy (ALL the time, Dude??).

I never set my filter knob above 12:00, unless I'm using it in 'vib mode', with a dummy plug in the second output jack (actually, a usefull option with this one - if you want STEREO chorusing, though, the CEB ain't truly 'stereo') - then you pretty much have to.

Joe

12. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    +1 to the Boss Chorus. The CEB-3 is more subtle than the CE-5 but you can always turn the depth knob down on the CE-5 if you want subtle! I'd suggest the CE-5.

13. Kano2864212

Kano2864212 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield, MA
    +1 on the Boss CH-1 its subtle enough to leave on all the time and doesnt suck any low end. you can find em for fairly cheap on ebay too

14. Ok, from the replies so far i dont think ive explained it well enough.

I'm not looking for a subtle chorus (if you hear duffs tone then its no where near subtle) but i dont want something anywhere near like a flanger where its all your tone gone to the dogs.

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=7u_8zOoQokw

That sorta sound, i know he uses a flanger aswell somtimes but for most of the time he only uses a chorus.

15. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Duff does not use a flanger. Try the Boss one or the one I posted.
    Duff uses a Rackmounted Chorus, and sometimes distotion.

16. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    IMO and IME, either an Ibanez CS-9 Reissue or an MXR M-134 Stereo Chorus would be perfect for your intended application. The MXR especially has quite a wide range of tones available and they all sound great. The Ibanez is much smaller, simpler to use and runs on 9 volts as opposed to the MXR's 18 volts, and pretty much every setting sounds good.....especially if you like 80's-style chorus effects. Good luck.

17. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    If you can find one an 18v Danelectro Cool Cat would be very nice left one all the time.

18. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I used a CS-9 on bass and found it to be really subtle I think I did a clip in the Wiki of it. I really want to try that MXR though actually alot of MXR pedal's I want to try as of late. :bassist:

19. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    The search never ends, eh Junkie? :p

I'll check out that video you linked to, and give a recommendation, but it probably isn't going to change much from what I told you last time.

I just need that video as a refresher. :D

20. Never!!!

:hyper: