looking for a collectable vintage fender

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by geezer316, May 6, 2003.

1. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    Last week i was in the right place at the right time,i have been un-employed for about 6 weeks now and have been struggling to keep my head above water,i was even considering selling my mex j/bass(now you can guess how desperate i was).i went down to the local labor union hall to try to get a job as a laborer and i was in the right place because i got hired as a laborer/asbesto's remover)so heres my problem i want to get a vintage fender somewhere in the late 60's early 70's ,i'm leaning towards a j/bass because i have a good p-bass already,I dont want to spend a fortune i guess between 1500.00 & 2000.00$$,its gonna be a investment meaning i will only play it every so often to keep it adjusted and clean,i am gonna buy a re-issue from japan(i met a guy who imports fenders from japan on line)to use as my regular j/bass so i dont have to use my vintage, So here's my question what years are the better years to look into?i know some years are better than others in all of the guitar manufactoring so if anyone knows what year i should try to get my hands on that will increase in value and also sound good,i dont want to change a thing(p-ups,bridge,tuners or anything)i want to keep it as original as possible;) any ideas people?can you give me something to go on(facts,opinions etc)? i would really appreciate your help gang:D
  2. RichBriere

RichBriere Guest

Jan 1, 2003
    Upstate NY
    I was in Rumbleseat Music in Ithaca the other day and he just got some STUNNING Fender basses in. CALL AND ask for Eliot. Tell him I told you to call. You might also check with Steve Barr and Gard at Bass Central. They always seem to have some very cool gear.

Bass-ically Yours,

3. I would also contact the Bass Palace (www.basspalace.com). I bought my '74 P-bass from them and it was everything they said. I fond them to be very knowledgable and straight up.

4. JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Not to cause controversy, but I would advise against buying a vintage instrument as an "investment". First of all, you would be making a purchase at the crest, or peak of the market for vintage instruments....akin to "buying high" when it comes to the stock market. The peak of the market is probably anywhere from the mid-'90's to the current time period, but your choices will be very slim and it'll take top dollar to do the deal. Most of the really good instruments (both in condition and tone) were snapped up a long time ago. The majority of what is still available is what was passed over during the vintage craze of the late '80's and '90s. Further, the time to buy what we now consider to be vintage instruments (including those produced in the '70s) would have been decades ago. At one time, you could get an early '60s jazz for only a couple of thousand dollars....maybe as little as a couple of hundred. The lesser quality '70s stuff wasn't "vintage" yet, and was just considered to be "used". You could pick up a late '70s jazz for several hundred bucks.

Unfortunately, the window to get a really good quality vintage bass with great tone at a reasonable price has long since gone. Those who bought early and low are the ones who will profit from their "investments". Further, there is also a risk that something could go wrong with the instrument as it continues to age (cracks, twisted neck, etc.) that would also put an old instrument in the category of a poor investment. Still yet, your rate of return at this point should be significantly less than other options you might have. For the guy who bought low and sells high....maybe not. If you want the sound and look of a vintage bass, I would recommend that you go with something new and a fraction of the cost. You can take advantage of modern precision machinery (CNC) to ensure that all parts fit perfectly and you can get a bass that sounds and plays just as good without being afraid to play it.