looking for a combo amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by corso68, Aug 6, 2002.

1. corso68

May 16, 2002
    hello, i have recently been looking for a new combo amp, my budget is around 500$. Im thinking all i would need is something around 100w. I might playing in a band soon, so i would also like to know if 100w would be enough.
    any suggestions would be helpful.
  2. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    100 watts would be about the minimum requirement to play with a band. $500 will get you much more amp in the used market. Does it have to be a combo and not an amp and speaker cabinet? I see used GK RB400s in the $250-300 range quite a bit.
    You can also find Peaveys, Acoustics, and Carvins priced very reasonably. Take you bass with you and try out as many as you can. Good Luck in your search. :D
  3. But buying used is riskey, you don't know is the amp has been dropped, pushed too hard, or is the speakers are old and distorting :eek: I think that id you have 500$ you could save about a 100 more and get something new and powerful.
  4. corso68

May 16, 2002
    Yeah, buying used things is a bit risky especialy over the internet. I never really thought about getting a head and a speaker because i don't think i will have enough money to get both. although, I could probably get a nice head now for the money i have and save up and get a speaker...maybe i should do that?...
  5. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    300 watts minimum.
  6. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Sure, buying used has its risks, but if you do your homework, ie. check all the reviews for any problems that seem to be common to your choice of amp, check out the sellers feedback to be sure they are reputable, be sure that it can be returned if not as advertised, there are plenty of bargains available. I assume there are no GCs or MusicGoRounds near for you try out as many amps as possible in your price range? I bought a SWR Workingman 300 (backup amp) for $285 new on Ebay. Got a 69 Sunn 2000s TUBES my main amp for $400, and a Fender side kick 15 cab $135, (had to replace the 15 right after I got my 5 string ;) ), and a Carvin 2-10 new $285. I'm just a geezer who thinks $500 should get you alot more than a 100 watt combo. I see BXR 300 used for around $300, not that I too fond of the amp, but just an example. Yes buying new gets you a warranty, and if thats important, its probably what you should do, just know the minute you walk out the door with it you loose about 35% of its value. YMMV Good Luck
  7. Yep I agree with the guys who say you need to know what you're doing if you buy S/H. Although of course you can buy twice as much kit or more secondhand - so you can get a back-up if needed. I went through the same thoughts when asked to start playing in a band and needed an amp. I ended up getting a Laney 120 watt HC having been told that it could be backed off into the PA (2x450w Mackie's) but it still doesn't shake the floor. I think you need 300- 350 and minimum of 1x15. Something like the Black Beauty - but perhaps less expenseve for your first outing with live music. Say good amp and home made 15inch speaker cab painted black would get you the best sound for the buck. Try a Delta 15 300 watt from eminance (I bought one to go in the combo as the stock one was a bit too farty for me) or a Kappa bass is even better performance curve in a small vented cab. Don't get a 100 watt, you'll end up only using it for garage/home practice.
  8. I think that that would be a good idea, you can get some cabs pretty cheap, and they will sound good with a good head.
  9. pretty sure you can get a 100 watt ampeg combo at about that price. i guess it's something you could look into
  10. Save a little more to get a Hartke 3500 (used) and Avatar 4x10.

I played a Fender Bassman 100 in a rock band in a basement and i was drowned out by drums and guitar. I had used that amp for a year and then had to go looking for a new rig cause i couldn't hear myself anymore. I would take MunjiBunga's advice and get at least 300 watts. Maybe you'd be safe with a little less but i don't know how loud your band will be playing.

By the way, I use the setup i mentioned and it is plenty loud. Also if you go that route, get an 8ohm 4x10 or 2x10 so you can add a 8ohm 1x15 later on. Trust me it will be worth it.

Edit: If you get a 100w combo (don't do it) try a fender bassman. I found it to be louder then the Ampeg's Ba115.
  11. i've always been nervous about buying used amps. i havent dont tons of amp purchasing, but whereas i always look first for used when buying a bass, i looked last for used when buying an amp.

my 100-watt ampeg b-100r combo is just incredible. it looks great, sounds so smooth, and is quite loud and surprising for 100 watts. i've never had too much problem cutting through during practice, and as far as playing at venues, well you'll be miked probably anyways so it shouldnt matter that much. but check out the ampeg b100r, i love mine.