looking for a DB

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Old Ell, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Old Ell

Old Ell

Feb 24, 2002
    St. Paul, MN
    Hi, i've been playing electric bass and I'm strongly wanting to add a DB to my arsenal withtin maybe the next half year or so. My teacher is very skilled in DB and he is very willing to teach me, so switching in terms of technique isn't a problem. I have two strong interests right now for options: the Zeta Dawghouse and the Zeta Acoustic pro. I've heard Zeta's are very good instruments. Any comments on them, or other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'd like a bass with electric capabilities already installed, and I am looking at a price range of $2000 or less. Thanks for your help.
  2. mje

Aug 1, 2002
    Southeast Michigan
    Never played one, but they look like generic Chinese basses that have been modified by Zeta. Not necessarily a bad thing, but if it were me, I'd find a nice sounding acoustic bass and then fit a pickup or mike to it. There are tons of plywood basses out there at good prices.
  3. Old Ell

Old Ell

Feb 24, 2002
    St. Paul, MN
    OK I take it you aren't too fond of Zeta's. Howabout Cristopher basses? I've heard some really good things about those on this site? The Academy 100 series would save me a lot of money. Also, what are some relatively cheap pickups you would recommend? As you can probably tell, I'm very new to the DB world. Oh yes, I almost forgot. What are the differences between gamba and violin shaped basses in terms of sound? Which is usually preferred? Thanks.
  4. The difference on sound between gamba, violin, and busetto corners is zero.
    For $2,000, you can get a Christopher, which is one very good plywood bass.
    I think it's the best deal for the money. Christophers are selling like hotcakes in NYC.
  5. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY

Not to be an old stick in the mud, but have you noticed those threads stuck to the top of many of the DB forums called "Newbie Links"? Many of the questions you are asking are discussed at length in previous threads, which are linked by topic in the "Newbie Links" threads.

There's about a 6 page thread on Christopher basses in the "Basses" links thread, and a lot of info on pickups in the "Amps & Pickups" links thread. For my money, the K&K Bass Max is the way to go (especially for cheap), but do some reading and see what everybody thinks...it's all there ripe fur the pickin'.