1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a decent back up head

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tlwaps, May 1, 2006.

1. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    I'm in the market for a new or used head specifically for a back up in case something goes wrong with my SVT4PRO. I've been thinking about the 3PRO and i've also been tossing around the idea of a pre-amp/power amp set up. I play heavy metal, if that means anything. Budget is anything under $1,000 (U.S.) Any suggestions as to a decent head or pre/power would be greatly appreciated.

2. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

At that price level you won't have any problem.

I picked up a used SWR SM900 here in the TB classifieds
    last summer for $600. Not too heavy. Plenty of power.
    A new GK1000RB will cost you about the same from Rik's music.
    You have plenty of options with SS and hybrid heads
    at that price level or better in both new and used. I think
    you get a better value used IMHO.

I would avoid a Pre/power setup for a 'backup' rig, but
    that is only my opinion. I would go for less weight for a
    backup to drag around.

3. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    That's what I was thinking. I'm not to fond of SWR stuff, I tried one a few years ago and it just didn't do anything for me. But I might give them a 2nd chance.

4. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

I also picked up a used Eden WT 300 for 400 here on TB.
    That was a good value in prisitine condition with Eden bag.
    I wanted a big rig for one venue and smaller rig for another venue.
    I looked for an Eden WT-550 but couldn't find
    a good used one. I don't like the WT-800 as it doesn't run
    at 2 ohms though the SWR SM900 and WT-550 will.

The SWR SM900 is very thought to be quite transparent. I run
    my signal through an Alesis compressor to warm it up a little as needed.

5. I'd second the opinion on the GK1001RBII. $600 new and it's a good one. That's my main amp and I'm pleased so far. Very punchy and articulate, clean, loud, not to complicated and not too heavy.

Of course some people hate the sound, so it's all up to your ears. If you are an Ampeg guy you may be one of those that hates it.

6. If you want to spend $1000...why not just get another SVT4-pro? They sell on eBay for around $1000 quite often.

But I personally think that's a lot of cash for a backup head. I second the GK1001RB. I love Ampegs, and I also like GK's, my backup (GK400RB) has been serving as my main amp. I stopped using a 70's SVT and switched over to the GK while looking around for an Aggy DB750. The GK hols its own, no doubt about that.

-Nick

7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I'll give this one another vote.

8. tlwaps

tlwaps

Feb 13, 2006
    Ohio
    The $1,000 is at the absolute most, i'm hoping not to spend more than $600. I haven't tried any of the GK stuff. I am an "Ampeg guy" but i'm open to anything as long as it sounds good.

9. Gk's in general are nice sounding amps. They're very fast and punchy. They have a very wide tonal envelope. The EQ is very powerful. They can get VERY VERY bright, for instance, but can be dialed in pretty warm and mellow as well. Lows are nice and controlled, due to the tight response.

To me, they're not absolute knock your pants off tone, like some of the more saught after amps (vintage SVT, Aggy DB750...), but they do sound very good. It's nice to have a solid state amp that sounds good and doesn't have a zillion knobs, and parametric EQ to overly complicate things. You plug in, and turn the knobs to get it to sound the way you like, and that's about it. A few bells and whistles to make it versatile...what more to you need?

They're just no-nonsense amps that sound very good for their price range. I bought mine to use as a backup and ended up being surprised at how good it sounded. My drummer prefers it to my late 70's SVT...shame on him!

-Nick

10. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    To me, a "back-up" anything is to use when there's a problem in using the "main" one...it's broken, or whatever.
    I use (2) SVT-3PRO's in my usual set-up, and have a third one as a back-up.

Go get another SVT-4PRO. That'll be the BEST back-up posible!

11. i played through a gk last week and the gk 1x15 and it sound horrible. mabey the speaker was blown or something. it made me sad as i was playing fro a competition through it.

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Used Thunderfunk or WT800...

13. Calif De Funk

Calif De Funk Guest

Dec 15, 2004
    Sweden