Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a decent combo amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Pete, Feb 29, 2004.

1. Pete

Pete

Jan 3, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    I'm in the matket for a combo amp for my wife & I (she plays too). We have a fair amount of rehearsals where we don't need the brute force of the eden 410xlt or even 210xlt with either a GK800 or BassPodPro + Mackie 1200 and more juice than the little GK Backline 110. Something with a 15+horn (2x10's ok) and 150-400watts of power.

Something she could carry in (ergonomic) would be nice too. The idea is to cut the number of items we carry into a place down. Usually it'll be used with a band for practices (drum kit, vox only PA) and that's it. I love the rigs we have now but I don't want to haul them around for every rehearsal (3-4x a week between the two of us!).

So what's out there these days?

pete

2. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    The GK 1001RB/210, 700RB/210, and 400RB/210 have plenty of poop, and sound better than the 115. The tiltback feature, casters, and pull up handle make the RB series a very nice package. That being said, I've seen much smaller amps used with good results, so you might try something like the Backline and make sure that it really is too small - you may be surprised.

3. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    The Ampeg BR100 (1x15) gets the nod around these parts.

Kinda old school tone.

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Have a listen to the Metro form Eden. I had a chance to check out the Silverado Special from SWR, and I was pleasantly surprised how great they sound.

At some point, embellisher will sniff out this thread, and rave about the BAM from Peavey. I have yet to try one, but he ranks it above the Metro, and he swore by the Metro prior to getting a BAM.

Jeff....I have an "appointment" to check out the BAM next week. If it is as great as you say, I may have a Metro for sale soon.

-Mike

5. steve_man

steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I second the GK combo's. They're great for carting around.

I also second the ampeg B-100 but I'm little more fond of the B-50 which is a 112. These amps are a great deal and lighter than most other beasts you'd be lugging around.

Biggest suggestion is if you're looking for an amp to bring back and forth get something with casters!!! anything above 350 watts is a beast to carry around. so the word economic is thrown out the window (I was in the same position a few months ago).

also look at the weight specs for any amp your looking to try out

6. I happen to like the 15 much better than the 210. It's smoother and rounder with a touch more bottom. The 210 is too agressive for my taste. The 400 combo's don't have the wheels and telescoping handle, so if you want that feature, you would need to get a 700RB combo. The 400 combo is smaller and lighter than the 700 though.