1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a decently priced head and cab. Ashdown? Warwick?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jordy, Sep 15, 2008.

1. G’Day all,
    Quick backstory: I used to gig regularly and used a battered old Peavey stack.
    Stopped gigging, sold all of my amp gear aside from a terrible-sounding little 100 watt trooper that I use to practise.
    Now, I’m getting back into it again after about a 2 and a half year hiatus from any type of gigging whatsoever.

Now, I’m looking at getting an affordable-yet-decent rig consisting of around a 300-500 watt head and a 4x10 cab.
    I don’t want to spend over $2000-$2500 Australian dollars and I’ve narrowed it down to a couple that I’d like some insight on.

I’ve been looking at Ashdown, because they seem quite affordable. Specifically the ABM500 EVO II with the ABM 410T.
    I could get these for around $2200 AU.

I was also looking at some Warwick amps (only because they were so affordable) and they sounded quite good to me.
    The rig I played was a Warwick Profet 5.2. head with a Warwick 411Pro cab.
    I could get these for about $1500 AU.

They both sounded great (without really giving them a good workout anyway, it’s always difficult in store).
    Is Ashdown $700 better than Warwick in this particular case? (Reliability being a fairly big concern).
    Would you recommend one head with another cab?
    Anyone with any experience with either of these?
    Any other recommendations, etc.

Anyway, enough questions for now.
    I'm personally leaning toward the Ashdown but I'm not sure about forking out the extra cash.

P.S. I’ll be running a Warwick Thumb 5 N/T and a MusicMan Stingray 4 through it (while I could part with my amp I could not part with them;)).

Thanks in advance.