Looking for a Deeper sound, recomendations?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Dec 27, 2005.

1. So my rig is a MIA Fender Jazz w/ Fralins, Eden WT330 and Avatar B212, which I'm over all happy with.

I'm on a quest for deeper tone though. I'm figuring my Amp has nothing to do with limiting lower end freq. So its either my Avatar B212 or it just may be my bass is just more mid punchy then I'd like.

Where should I be looking? I love my Fender Jazz but some times I think its just not exactly what I'm looking for.
    Is my Avatar B212 my problem? Can I get what I'm looking for out of my current set up?

I'm bassically looking to extend my low end to the deepest extent possible. I'm looking to get the deepest sub sonic harmonic frequecies to rumble my face off.

What directions should I be going?
  2. Aside from switching to another model/brand that is known for low end(I like Warwicks for the low end), there are a few things I would suggest.

Your string choice could help a little. New steel strings are very bright sounding. Try switching to a nickel string, and look for the ones that are made for enhancing low end.

Changing the stock pickups could help as well. Getting a set with a more clear signal can enchance the low end you already have.

Ask for people with your amp what kind of settings they use. I've seen people do some crazy stuff with their amps, counter intuitive that increased what I thought to be the low end. I used to kill all treble till someone showed me how it can enhance the rumbling thump.

You could also change your tuning. Drop D is the popular choice.
  3. Charmand G

Charmand G

Nov 30, 2005
    You try GHS Boomers, with an E-string in 115mm. Might give you more lows.
  4. 6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    You could also try a pre-amp like a Sansamp. I have an all tube amp and that thing adds even more warmth. I definately 2nd the nickel strings. That really helped me get "my tone".
  5. A series/parallel switch will also help you to fatten your sound on a jazz bass. Check the Electronics forum for a detailed schematic. :smug:

It will cost you around 5 bucks and it improves the sound a lot. I think this might be just the thing for you.
  6. I'm not so much looking for warmth so I'm not sure how Nickles or Sansamps will do what I'm looking for.... and again, thats enhancnig the lowest freqencies for the deepest rumble possible.
  7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    In a quest for bigger bottom I first went witha real heavy warwick bubinga corvette. Got what I was looking for, but didn't want to jump around a stage with it. Also never quite adjusted to the neck and had a couple of other slight peeves with it. It definitely had tons of bottom though.

The bongo I now now settled on years later gives me waaaaay more bottom than any bass I've ever owned. Dialing in the neck humbucker makes that thing create thunder. Haven't played any of the dual humbucker stingrays or sterlings but I'm thinking they'll have a similar effect. Ya might want to check one out.
  8. Try TI Jazz Flats. I have a stock Fender Jazz Bass (MIA) and I used to always put some bass boost on my amp (Eden Metro). Not much, but just enough to deepen and fatten the tone. After a year with the same strings, I run the EQ entirely flat and I get all the rich bass tone my bass can put out.
  9. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    My Sansamp DI gives me tons of low end, I just cut the treble, and boost the bass and my house shakes (my parents don't like it...).

you could also install a J-retro, then cut the treble and mids, and boost the bass. That'll alsom probably get you what you want.

10. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    I've had similar needs lately for my working situation.

Try a P. That is the definition of fat bottom. You will be amazed.

Also the Sterling pup and circuit produce a substantially huskier sound thatn the J.
  11. I'd try to run through at least three different string sets before trying out other bass guitars.

Try a thicker string set, and flats. You might be surprised.
  12. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France

Maybe I'd try to mount a J-Retro on the bass...
  13. You want depth?

Modulus Q

Sounds like gold. Deep and clear and purdy for the ear.

Plus they make a "Vintage Jazz" that sounds the same and looks...well, you know.
  14. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    With my jazz, for a deeper sound I use TI-flats, and my Ampeg Tube Injection DI. Big fat warm tone.
    Other basses.
    Lakland Hollowbody bass.
    Fender Percision.
    Musicman Stingray with flats.
  15. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    The J-Retro has fattened up the bottom on my JO5. Especially when favoring the neck pup. The bass is all boost; effecting progressively lower freqs as you boost. Add some low mids also, and its real nice. Don't even need to hit the "deep" on the iamp and stuff's rattling. :bassist:
    That'll be $0.02
  16. bass_drum

Feb 13, 2005
    Perhaps instead of buying and installing a new pre-ap into your bass, you could by an eq pedal like the boss or behringer 7 band eqs.
  17. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Easy job - Sadowsky outboard preamp/DI. That is exactly what you need.
  18. I'm sticking w/ rounds, no dice on flats, but thanks for the insight, just not the tone I'm looking for. I'm not sure about the premap recomendations either. I've been through many preamps in my day and they all boost at 50hz and above.
    I'm looking for a bottom extension of some sort. Something that can deepen the bottome end response, allowing those low end 10/20Hz freq roar.
  19. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    Have you tried rolling off some (or all) of the high end with the tone control and/or soloing the neck pup? That should surely give you a "deeper" sound and cost a lot less that a new amp, speaker and/or bass!!!

10-20Hz is WAY BELOW the range of a 4- or 5-string bass . . .
    4-string lo E 41.?Hz
    5-string lo B dropped to A 27.5Hz
    7-string lo F# 22.?Hz
    anything in that range (10-20Hz) is NOISE, not music!!
    (not a judgement, just Physics)
  20. TheMightyQuinn

Dec 26, 2005
    Check out Knuckle Guitar Works...that is, if you've got the dough