1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a DI with...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Nyarlathotep, May 14, 2006.

1. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    ...The following features:

Code:
    - 9V DC power (Boss Style)
    - XLR out that can be boost or cut
    - 1/4" thru jack
    Except for the 15V power and lack of thru jack, the Radial Bassbone does everything I want, + some. . I could probably get it to work somehow, but are there any DI's that have all those features?

2. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    MXR M-80

3. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    You can't cut or boost the XLR on the M-80. I used to own one, but I sold it off in favor of the Sansamp BDDI, which does have individual boost/norm switches for XLR and 1/4" out. The M-80 does have a phantom power / ground switch, like the one on the BDDI.

I didn't sell it off for the lack of switches, though. I sold it because I wanted footswitchable, quality tube emulation. The M-80's distortion seems like it would be at home with tube amps as opposed to solid state amps, IMO... maybe that's why people are 50/50 on it?

Anyhow...DarkHarted, your Para Driver has those switches, doesn't it? Any particular reason why you're looking to replace it?

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, the newer sansamp BDDI does all that.

5. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Haha! I knew someone was going to ask that!

Well, my new setup, for now, is like so:
    WahBoard-May11-2006.

With a tuner in front, and into one of these:
    [​IMG]

Now, with the mixer, my overall level is a little lower, but it's not too bad. On my other board I use a Punch Factory and through various switches and knobs, I am able to have the 1/4" out at instrument level and the XLR a little hotter (+ comped) to go to my computer. I've tried out the PF and the compression really messes with the output of the mixer. I really dont want to get another SansAmp cus I've already set up the board so that I can access the XLR and 1/4" outs of the one I have without switching anything else on the board. I really just need a boostable XLR with a 1/4" thru, hopfully at 9VDC. I don't need any more tone shaping.

6. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    Oh... JUST a DI box.

Can't help you... I don't use XLR (no equipment to work with at this point).

7. Radial JDI... clean passive DI signal. It doesn't get any better than this.

[​IMG]

8. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

A lower cost alternative from Radial Engineering is the D1 Pro that is still a transformer decoupled passive DI but with their own design transformer instead of the Jensen.

I use a D2 (2 channel) pro in my home studio. The clarity is amazing for DI into mic pre. My daughter uses it at church sometimes on her acoustic guitar with Dean Markley pickup. It eats some of the level, but you can easily use more gain on the board. The improvement in clarity is worth it.

It has a pad to cut, but being passive, won't boost.

9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    +1 for the Radial JDI

10. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Sure, but does it have a boostable XLR? Unfortunatly not...:bawl: Damn my computer for needing such a high level :mad:

But, are there boost pedals for XLR connections?

11. I don't see why you'd need a boosted XLR... that's line level dude. I think you need a proper interface in between your PC and DI-box.

12. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    If I plug my bass directly into my computer (or use the PDDI as a passive DI), even with the input set to mic level, the bass signal doesn't even register :( A great example of this is my Aphex Punch Factory. If I set the drive at 8, the volume only needs to be at 4 for unity volume into my amp. At the same drive level, the volume needs to be at 9 to get a decent signal into my computer. Fortunatly I only use (and can use) the PF to compress my direct signal, with controllable volume, but still have a instrument level signal going to an amp. Unfortunatly the compression really thins out the tone I get from the mixer, compared to the mixer->amp tone.

Right now I'm really :( that I can't record the clean/dist/wah board cus I've tried to record my amp direct and it doesn't work! Even if I set the input sensitivity to line, trim down the input to just above 0, and have the amp's level at the lowest possible (but still audiable), the amp still provides too much signal!!! :mad:

I'm also a little leary about setting up with a mic cus it just adds more variables to the recorded tone. I may just give up on this setup, even though it sounds awesome :(

13. Maybe you need a small mixing-board.

14. Hawkeye

Hawkeye Canuck Amateur

I think P-Rex is onto something. Why not get an audio Analog > Digital interface with some preamps and a Hi-Z input that you just plug your bass directly into (like an Edirol UA-25 or Line 6 Tone Port, M-Audio Fast Track Pro, Lexicon Lambda etc. the list goes on). These sell for just slightly more than a really good DI. Add a DI afterward for even better sound.

Most of these interfaces will also include lite versions of a DAW like SONAR LE, Cubase LE, ProTools LE etc.

I use the Edirol DA-2496 PCI 8-channel interface with outboard preamps (ART MPA Pro / Focusrite TrakMaster / Electro Harmonix 12AY7) and it's rock solid with excellent sonics

A good DI is a thoroughly useful studio and stage device when you've already got a good interface or board and you're bringing the impedance of your instrument to preamp input levels. If you're still messing around with a computer sound card I'm afraid you're never going to get the results you want.

15. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Ya :( The thing is that the PDDI as a DI can give the levels that it needs. If I use it as a pre, which I do, it's perfect.

I've decided to pack up the wah for now and go a different direction w/ the PDDI. Gonna start with a Strobostomp tuner cus it's true bypass and I like to have a mute somewhere on my board. + it can power other stuff like my TU-2 or NS-2 can. I'm also looking into some fuzz pedals for a more extream sound option.