Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a "different" pickguard for my Jazz

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Aug 3, 2002.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I have a Moses unlined fretless neck coming for my AmStd Jazz.

My bass is natural ash (nice figure) and currently has a rosewood board and a Warmoth "crushed copper" pickguard, which looks decent. (I was bored with white.)

I really don't think the crushed copper is going to work with that black Moses neck, so I have a few ideas:

1) Matte black vinyl (Warmoth). Cheap and available.

2) Crinkle finished black metal. I've seen a few G&L ASATs with these, so there may be someone making them.

3) Black carbon fiber. I've seen these, but can't remember where!

Can anyone help with ideas where to find 2) or 3)? I'm even thinking I could do my own crinkle finish on a plastic/vinyl guard - the paint is available. I'm open to suggestions, too!

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    www.pickguards.com has more pickguard options than you can shake a stick at. I don't remember seeing the two things you're looking for, though. If you want to have a pirate bass, they might be right for you, though. :D

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Thanks, Mike! That's one of the sites I was looking for - the URL was a bit hard to remember, you know! ;)

A couple other options ala Reverend:

* Black bugeye
    * Black safety tread

4. That would probably have been me :)

i have a 60x60cm dark grey/green/red/blue ( depends strongly on the lighting ) plate of carbon. all it needs is to be cut and have some finish over it.. but the problem is that i'm still looking for the finish.. it has to be some special stuff, coz it's pretty much impossible to obtain..

5. What about something like mirrored or even diamond plate?

6. I've come up with a neat way to make natural wood pickguards that is tough to beat the band. As a matter of fact, my test pieces were natural ash just like your body. It would be neat to have the pickguard blend into the body with just the black neck attached. I gues it would sort of look like a back routed body.