1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a dirt cheap bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bobcrackchuc, Oct 6, 2013.

1. bobcrackchuc

bobcrackchuc

Oct 6, 2013
    Hello, I'm looking for a really, really cheap bass guitar.

I've been playing guitar for a while, and though I like it, I think I really want to switch over to bass. However, I'm young, jobless, poor, and with nothing to sell except my cheap guitar and amp that I could probably get $150 for. So, does anyone know of a bass/amp combo that I could get for $150? I'm really not looking for sound quality here. Something playable, but I'm really just looking at expenses right now. Any input would be awesome.

2. DerTeufel

DerTeufel Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
    Where are you located? Knowing that would go a long way in helping you out!

3. Look for something used, on kijiji or craigslist. Best place to find something playable for cheap.

I got my first bass for 160 $, and unless you're gigging, a guitar amp can handle bass at moderate volume, practice volume that is. I use a Fender Mustang for practice.

4. bobcrackchuc

bobcrackchuc

Oct 6, 2013
    I'm located in Utah, Provo, to be exact.

5. NightTripper

NightTripper

Oct 20, 2011
    My first bass was a Squier Affinity, which came in a pack for $300 and included a 15 watt amp, strap, bag, etc. Great value for a beginner.

For the prices you're thinking, I would look on craigslist and your local pawn shops.

6. Yup, one of these Squier starter packs (used) would be ideal. Often see them barely used and going cheap. Little Johnny lost interest and his parents are now selling it. :D

7. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    You can often get lucky with quality US made Peaveys or older Yamahas if you are going bargain basement. If you can spend $200, you will really be able to find some gems if you look.

8. DerTeufel

DerTeufel Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2011
    Wildomar, CA
    http://provo.craigslist.org/msg/4030463231.html

Like that one.

9. mizzou541

mizzou541

Jan 8, 2010
    KC, MO
    Check Hellomusic.com...New Dean Hillsboro for $198 or ESP/LTD P/J for $169. There's also a Crestwood P copy for < $100 that I'm sure would do if you just want something dirt cheap to mess with. I can't recommend that site highly enough.

10. RxFunk

RxFunk

Dec 2, 2012
    Arizona
    Since you're looking for both a bass and an amp, I'd say put your guitar and amp up on craigslist, and put will trade for bass and amp.

11. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Well since you have played guitar for a while presumably you know a bit about what makes a good playing or damaged instrument. This is important because the best buys in instruments are used. And that means you need to take a look and decide if there are things wrong or not. And if there are things wrong if you can fix them. That is where a ton of money can be saved.

So you probably know about guitars and high frets and buzzes and twisted necks and the like. This is good. Beyond that it depends if you are the kind of guitar player who fixes a loose jack with duct tape or actually tightens the nut back down. If the latter (or if you know someone handy with isntruments) you can also save big coin. For example can you solder pots and jacks? I got my G&L USA cheap because pots and switches were all loose and rotating around. Some wires were broken. Not a biggie for anyone that can solder, but scares the price down real low! Even if you personally can't handle tools if you can dig up a friend who can, it can work. OR you could learn.

LOTS of used super buys out there in used instruments. But if you want new, look at Rondomusic.com as SX basses are great buys and often are fine out of the box. Some strings and minor setup may be needed too. Maybe some shielding. A cheap bass AND bass repair lessons!

My advice for a nice combo is to just look over the used stuff. In this case be more careful about fixing things as amps take a LOT more skill to deal with any serious problems. I'd say amp-wise look used but be sure it's working properly before you buy. I'd look not at practice amps, but some used combo in the 70-100 watt range (like say my 70 watt Laney combo I found like new for a song from a bass player who decided he hated it) That gives you a nice practice rig but also enough power to jam with other guys (if they aren't too loud)

Advice for guitarists is that bass takes a LOT of power to be loud! And that costs dollars. 100 watts is coffee shop level! On a guitar 100 watts will saw down a tree! Keep that in mind!

12. bobcrackchuc

bobcrackchuc

Oct 6, 2013
    Thanks a bunch for the advice everyone, you were all extremely helpful!

13. kikstand454

kikstand454

Sep 28, 2012

Ya can't beat that with a stick.

I got a Yamaha 5string p-bass copy off craigslist one time for 150bucks.
    I hated it....but it was a serviceable bass. I did a few shows with it. I put sperzels on it and sold it for 200.

14. The best cheap bass I ever owned was an '89 Peavey Fury. $120 a year or two ago.

15. Fair Warning

Fair Warning Deliverin' the Goods! Supporting Member

$100 Squires are out there every day on Craigslist. $50 Mini combo amps can be had too. So not a huge challenge

16. tbz

tbz

Jun 28, 2013
    SoCal
    You can find amazing deals on Peavey and Ibanez used instruments, in the $100 - $200 range if you do some research.

I've seen used Ibanez SR-800s on GC.com for $200 - $300; I'm blanking on the original retail on those, but I remember folks actually paying $800 for those new....so $200 is a steal.

Peavey deals can be similar, GC.com is a decent spot, but if you're in the midwest then CL is probably a better pick as there's simply a LOT of Peavey gear out in the middle of the country.

17. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

Yep...they are all over Craigslist. Just look for the ad that says BRAND NEW FENDER WITH AMP....

9 out of 10 times its a Squier or similar starter pack.

18. SX basses are a very good deal for the money . Play and sound as good as the big boys and decent quality . Here's a Jazz with a little practice amp . It would be enough to get a good start for what you say is your budget.

http://www.rondomusic.com/ursa2rnpk3ts.html

Here's a P bass model . These basses really sound good , I've had quite a few and the've all been playable and all sound very good . The amp isn't big enough to play with other people but it would give you an Idea what they sound like plugged in and is loud enough to play along with some recorded music .

http://www.rondomusic.com/ursa1rnbkpack.html