Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking for a diverse bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by flury, May 21, 2004.

1. flury

flury

May 21, 2004
    Well as my Ibanez SR300dx slowly dies I started playing some (actually alot, was at the music store for a good 3 hours for a whole week :cool: ) basses and narrowed what I wanted down to...
    American or MIJ Fender Jazz
    or
    Warwick RockBass Corvette Classic
    The choice is so hard, help!

All the guy told me the American Jazz's run for $550. I think he meant the MIJ's but Im not sure, are they really that cheap?

2. If you can get a nice playing American Jazz for 550, get it! Even for a Japanese one, if it plays good, that's a great price. I think passive Jazz basses such as those aren't the most versatile basses in the world, but I can't see you needing much more than what's offered - I have an American Deluxe with active electronics and I rarely play with the pots, just a treble cut now and then (which is what the tone knob does on a regular Jazz anyways!) and a bit of pickup blending, which you can also access on a regular Jazz. Long story short, I think a Jazz is all you really need if you want to get right down to it.

By diverse, I assume an active bass would fit the bill. However, at that price range, not too many active basses would be a good choice, unless it's a used higher end bass. Active electronics and a low price usually don't mix well. It just adds more components that are potentially of a lower quality, killing your tone.

I don't know if the Rockbass is passive because I played one a long time ago, but it's a solid bass with more traditional body woods and whatever. It doesn't nail that growly Warwick tone without the exotic woods, but it's well-built and sounds pretty good. I'm a Jazz fan, myself, so that's my choice. But the Warwick is definitely a good bass.

3. flury

flury

May 21, 2004
    Yeh Ill have to find out what a MIA Jazz would cost me. They are nice. Will I notice any tone differences between a rosewood or maple fretboard? If I go with the sunburst color, Ima want a rosewood or If I go all black I want the maple neck. Thats just speaking for looks tho.

4. A little yes, but it still sound like a bass, so don't worry. The only real difference, is that maple feels a little...well, stickier. But has more of a bright snap to it.

It's totaly up to you though.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    MIJ or MIA fender blows away a Rockbass.

6. I don't find the maple/rosewood boards to sound too drastically different, but there is a different feel involved, definitely. Find out which you prefer.

7. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    If you want something Divers go for a Dingwall.

Great bass.

8. you can get a peavey millennium usa off ebay for around the same price as those basses and its f'ing awesome... the wide variety of tones you can get out of this thing are amazing

[​IMG]

9. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    I remember that pic!!! Was it you who wanted to sell that bass, then decided not to?

10. yep... kind of... i was having issues with it, not with the sound but with the neck so i thought id see if i could get anything interesting on the trade market for it... we made up though... i just cant see getting rid of it since its the best of the 30+ basses that ive owned and the only bass that ive ever had where i could easily adjust the tone while playing to match the sound in my head... pick one up, you wont regret it

11. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    Used Fender RB5 or Lakland Skyline 55-02

12. Stinkoman20xx

Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    Get a g&l tribute L2000 same price for A GREAT bass

13. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2002
    La Crosse, WI
    I have a MIJ Jazz for sale if you're interested. It plays great and has a great tone. I can't speak to the Deluxe models because I've never had one. Some people like the passive pick ups and some like the active. I've always had passive basses and have always loved the tone I got. I have a '75 Jazz and I have to say the MIJ Jazz sounds just as good. I have a post on the For Sale forum if you're interested. Here's a picture. It's a great bass...