1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

looking for a frank bello/ Anthrax bass tone

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by toddLURR, May 27, 2011.

1. toddLURR

toddLURR

Apr 29, 2011
    USA
    I am looking for amp settings for a clean high bass tone..

I think one of the best bass tones comes from Frank Bello of Anthrax.

Any suggestions....Thanks..

2. loinmute

loinmute

Feb 11, 2011
    Wimberley,Texas
    LoL What kind of amp/guitar do you have? What options do you have for adjusting freq.?

3. toddLURR

toddLURR

Apr 29, 2011
    USA
    GK 1001RB

Gibson Thunderbird

Fender jazz bass

4. klaus486

klaus486

Jun 27, 2009
    portland or
    sales geek Portland Music co.
    I'd say ya gotta grab yourself any ole Fender style P-J equipped bass. Probably the lighter the better. Resonance is what you want. String it up with the brightest roundwounds the bass will take. Run that all throttles open into two warmed up SVT/8-10s .....LOUD...... and park yourself in front of the old TV and view some Anthrax video tape so you can steal Bello's right hand.
    Enjoy........NOT!

Upon watching some video I think the main characteristic of Bello's tone is LOUD! That's the sound of a high output passive p-j bass pretty flat EQ wise but cranked up through big amps. All the rest is him pounding away with amazing right hand technique on roundwounds.

Awesome! I saw the Among The Living tour at The Starry Night in Portland Or. JUne 30 1987

5. loinmute

loinmute

Feb 11, 2011
    Wimberley,Texas
    Boost the low mids. Fairly low action. Hard fingerstyle attack. These would help:Seymour Duncan SPB-3 precision bass pickup in the neck position and a Samarium Cobalt Noiseless Jazz Bass pickup in the bridge position.

edit: your J bass would be a better choice than the T bird imo

6. MUSHROOMSeAcOw

MUSHROOMSeAcOw

Aug 1, 2010
    Georgia
    How about the Frank Bello Signature Jazz Bass?

7. PJ bass, roundwounds, pick. That's about it.

8. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    I saw them that same year here in Oslo. He sounded really cool. Testament was support.

9. Joe Murray

Joe Murray

May 14, 2008
    Fairfax, VA
    I think you go fingerstyle here. I think the tone is too clean to use a pick if that makes sense.

*EDIT* I mean using a pick would produce a tone that is too clean. Frank Bello has a tone much like Steve Harris where you get that "clicking" noise by using your fingers. It's part of their sound.

10. odin70

odin70

Dec 26, 2007
    Scooooped mids