1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a fretless, unlined 5 under $1000.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Takt, Nov 25, 2017.

1. Takt

Takt

Jan 30, 2011
    I'm trying to work on some very specific repertoire and am looking for a five string, unlined fretless bass that I can tune to a high C.

I'm not very experienced buying basses used, which I imagine is a necessity to be able to get something like this within the $1000 budget, and would appreciate some recommendations.

I'm also not sure, at this budget, if I have the luxury of being able to express a preference for tonewoods, neck-through construction, active electronics or special materials in general; and I would like if I could get a solid bridge, tuners and the like, or at least be able to upgrade them with off-the-shelf drop-in parts - but I understand not being able to be choosy here.

I would prefer not to go through the trouble of buying a good fretted 5, and finding a luthier in my area that I can trust with a de-fret - although if someone knows a good place in FL that'd be great.

I would like to be able to go into a store and try some models out, but the big local retailers don't seem to carry any, and I'm not aware of any small music stores in the area.

The only ones I could find online were the Warwick Streamer LX and Corvette $$. Would I have more options if I went with a lined fretboard?

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  2. Trouztrouz

Trouztrouz

Feb 6, 2013
    NoVA
    I'd recommend the Ibanez SRF705. If you can find a used Carvin that meets your specs, that would be a fine choice as well.