Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a fretless with a phenolic fingerboard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jive1, Dec 7, 2004.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Anyone know of any basses that have a phenolic fingerboard? Or a fingerboard with a hard and slick surface like a phenolic?

I think Zon and Pedulla have basses like this, but I was wondering if any other builders do this.

Anybody have any thoughts or issues with phenolic fingerboards?

Thanks in advance

2. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I think the Moses graphite necks have that kind of fingerboard; you could buy one and put it on a Fender body.

3. Check out Moses necks (graphite) and Status Graphite instruments (Especially their Stealth 2 model: Lightweight monocoque composite-based graphite instruments with incredibly slick and stable phenolic fingerboards). My Parker basses have a carbon-fiber skin wrapped around the fingerboard, which might even be better for you! :)

4. Yeah, Jive 1, check out the Curbow site: www.curbow.com

Once inside, click on "Curbow Bass," then scroll down a little, then click on, "Click here for the most current information about the stock Cort Curbow Basses."

The lettering is a little hard to read, but these basses have luthite bodies and ebonol fingerboards, which I believe is similar to phenolic, just like my Ibanez EDA905F.

If you want any info about the Ibanez, just holler.

Good luck.

Mike

5. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    new basses:
    Modulus VJ
    Status
    Hohners, Cort Curbows (those these are low end basses)

used ones:
    graphite neck Steinbergers
    aluminum neck Kramers

I've owned Steinbergers for over 15 years and had zero issues with the fingerboards. The fretless I owned (now sold) had almost zero wear despite being used with roundwounds since day one.

You can still buy phenolic board graphite necks from Modulus and Status to fit Fender bodies. The Moses necks use a graphite fingerboard.

6. check out some MTD Heir too.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Chris Benavente has been using "stabilized" stuff from Larry @ Galleryhardwoods.com They stuff is silky smooth and tough. it's got some of the same acoustic properties as the composite board basses I've tried... but a bit more organic tone.

[​IMG]

can make just about any wood hard enough for fretless use.

8. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    That's the feel that I'm looking for. I played a Parker guitar a while back and was in love with the slick carbon-fiber fingerboard. Too bad the parker basses are so expensive.

Thanks for the replies guys and keep em coming. I'm looking for the slick, and hard feel. Like a Parkey Fly or Pedulla Buzz.

9. sb69coupe

sb69coupe

Aug 9, 2004
    Raleigh NC
    If you want to get a phenolic fingerboard for cheap, Mighty Mite is offering an unlined fretless p-bass neck with an Ebonal fingerboard. I bought one from WarpDrive Music and installed it on a Signature Jazz body that I got off ebay, and I couldn't be happier with the resulting bass. The neck was only $109, if I remember correctly.

10. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Zon, Roscoe, Modulus, and Curbow I know have some type of resin type fingerboard material. The Roscoe board is very nice.

11. +1 Ebonal is the way to go on a budget fo sho

12. Dig around online, you should be able to find a 5-string Fly Bass for $2400. I know that Music123, Sweetwater (as well as Parker authorized dealers) usually have them in stock. Here's one:
    http://www.nextag.com/Parker_Fly_Bass_5~63978893z27znz2726656zz1z2726656zzmainz2-htm
    You might even be able to find a better deal if you search around. :)

Here's a great Bass Player review of the 5:
    http://bassplayer.com/archive/0703/0703_soundroom1.htm

I am trying to get them to do a fretless model. If you think that the fretted was "slick", I'd love to see how the fingerboard reacts with NO STAINLESS STEEL fret interference. Like buttah!!! Although, they probably could build a model with an ebony board and it would still sound amazing....That's what great research and development is all about...testing, testing, testing!!!