Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking for a fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 7thbass, Jan 25, 2006.

1. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    I have a Cort Artisan B fretless, wenge neck, Bartolini MK1 pickups. The bass sounds great and plays well, but the neck is modern, which I guess means thin and narrow compared to my MIA Jazz bass.

So I have been thinking of a jazz bass-style fretless. I played a new MIA Jazz fretless, and was very impressed. Bass had a great feel, really good sound. However, not sure if I want to spend $1,000+ on a bass, as I have three kids and don't make enough playing bass to justify the expense.

Have played the MIM fretless but not crazy about them. Not sure why, but neck did not feel as comfy and sounded pretty "dead" in the store (which could be strings, setup, etc).

My options for Jazz bass between $500 and $1000 appear to be :
    KSD fretless
    ISHIBASHI Fender fretless

List is probably too short. Any suggestions?

2. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    ?

3. You could probably do a Warmoth build for that kind of cash. Nino Valenti is an awesome builder, insanely talented and dwells here on TB. Great work, and awesome prices is all I have eveer heard from his more than happy customers.

www.valentibasses.com

-ryan-

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ninos will run you around $1500. Not under $1000.

5. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Dean and Yamaha make very nice fretlesses around or under $500. On the very low end there are Rondo imports.

6. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    If you're thinking used, I'm mulling over selling my 84 G & L L1000 fretless. If you're interested, let me know, and I'll make a decision sooner, rather than later!

7. Warwickluvr

Warwickluvr

Dec 26, 2005
    Try out a new or used Warwick Corvette fretless. New, it'd be around $900, but you can prolly find a used one locally or on eBay for $650 ish.

8. +1 Awesome bass IMO. I was just suggestion something in the Fender-esque realm, seeing as he likes the MIA Fenders.

-ryan-

9. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    My '62 Reissue Jazz Fretless (CIJ - from Japan) is one of the best Fenders I have ever owned. It is much better then the MIM Fretless I had. The workmanship and quality is flawless. And it has a great vintage sound! $716 shipped to my door! There is one on eBay right now - LINK

Here is mine:
    [​IMG]

10. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    A Lakland Skyline Joe Osborn Fretless would fit the bill. I love mine. Allows me to keep my 63 Jazz safe at home.

11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    PM sent!
    Check your PM.

-Mark

12. :smug: Warwick Corvette Fretless
    I got mine new for $750 otd local Great bass for the money

13. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    used Carvin LB series!

14. Another vote for the Warwick Corvette fretless.

15. I swear i've seen that thing every time you post on this forum, but i must agree that the MIJ fretless would definetly be a great choice.

16. 7thbass

7thbass

Nov 21, 2003
    Houston, Tx
    I appreciate your help.