looking for a fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 6 string demon, Apr 27, 2003.

1. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    im looking for a good fretless bass. ive got a bass thats not great but ive been able to learn on it but now im in need of somthing of a higher quality. i think im in the market for a 5 string which i will une eadgc i live in the uk if that affects your opinions. i currently own a thru neck thumb 6 string with barts and i love that sound ive looked at the bolt on thumb 5. i want an unlined neck. and im looking to spend around £1000. bit more may be posible but theres no way i can go above £1500. any help would be great thanx
  2. Look at Conklin groove tools, they have a 5 string fretless which isn't too bad, not to high priced either.
  3. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    I like the Fender MIA fretless. Sounds great and the feel is awesome. The Warwick standard corvette fretless is pretty cool as well.
  4. jacochops

Jul 2, 2000
    Suzhou, China
    Get a Nordstrand fretless...end of story. They're the s**t.
  5. CDuff

Sep 14, 2002
    Jeez'm Crow!! that's a sweet bass there Mr.G.

So just how much (roughly) did the word "custom" throw onto the price tag.
    BTW, great site.....that DK5-B fretless looks hot.
  6. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    modulus makes all their quantum models in fretless, your choice of whether or not you want lines. i saw a q5 at my local shop for $2100 (little over), or one can definitely be had for $1300-1500 used. amazing basses to say the least.
  7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Talk to Jon Shuker. Tell him I sent you (I've got two basses on order with him right now). I don't know where you are in the UK, but I think he's somewhere near Sheffield. I think he's on another level than Warwick (i.e., higher) but he knows wood well and could probably do you something that would have a comparable sound. His prices are IMO very reasonable for the level of work he does--certainly in your ballpark for most of his models--and the woodworking is all done right there in his small shop. You can get a great bass and support a UK maker, all at the same time.

8. walwear

Feb 17, 2003
    Hey 6-String-D:

My good man...you have no need whatsoever to look beyond your own shores for this one. In all my travels, I have never found another fretless that can compete with a Wal. The pronounce mid-range signature of the Wal electronics marries PERFECTLY with the fretless configuration. They can be found on the used market for the price range that you specified...no problem. Drop me an email at walwear@yahoo.com if I can be of any help. BTW, I'm not affiliated with Electric Wood in any way...I'm just nuts about the basses!

9. gareth

Jun 9, 2002
    what you need is a fretless jaco from a UK source - check your private messages!
  10. 6 string demon

6 string demon

Mar 23, 2003
    thanx dude, but i had the oportunity to play one and i didnt like it much, sorry. but thanx anyway