1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a fretless

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zanzibar Delgado, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Zanzibar Delgado

Zanzibar Delgado Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2007
    San Diego, California
    I'm currently in the market for a new fretless five, and haven't really been able to come across anything on craigslist or eBay lately. I'd like something in the $500 range, but I'm willing to go higher (trying to keep it sub-$1000) for the right bass. Here's a general outline of the things I'm looking for:

Narrow string spacing (17mm and under preferably)
    Active EQ (3 band would be nice)
    Soapbars/J-pups/PJ combo

Otherwise, I'm not too picky. Models I'm interested in but can't seem to find anywhere (or at decent prices) include:

Ibanez GWB35 (I'm very interested to try playing one of these)
    Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
    Spector Legend Custom 5 (not the Classic, sorry)
    Cort Artisan B5 or A5
    Warwick STDs (the old German-made ones)
    Indonesian-made Peavey Cirrus BXPs
    Carvin basses in general

So if anyone has any opinions on the above basses or any suggestions as to what I should be looking for, feel free to let me know! Also, I'd be running it through a Carvin BX600 head with an Avatar 212 and 210, playing mostly fusiony prog-metal stuff (think Sean Malone or Robin Zielhorst). Thanks in advance :)

2. tlvernon

tlvernon

Jan 26, 2011
    Columbus OH
    Forgive the general advice, I am not going to tell you a specific model. I have bought and sold many basses online. Today i only own one bass and it is the only bass i ever bought in person. It happened to be a mij fretless jazz from Bass Emporium down the street from you. Since you should have some decent shops near you, i would encourage you to play as many as possible and keep an open mind.

Trust your ears and hands more than expert advice from internet-land.

3. What he said..... shop with your hands to avoid disappointment

4. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    the GWB cheapo model fit my hands nicely. i based my search on those ergonomics.

5. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    I like my MTD CRB fretless 5 string - it's a good bass for a reasonable price. But it doesn't match your criteria.

6. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    The MTD Kingston series is very good. If you can find one used, that might fit into your budget.

7. Eilif

Eilif Holding it down in K-Town. Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Have you checked the classifieds here at TB? I'm pretty sure that some of the bases you mentioned will pop up from time to time.

I definitely recommend looking for a used carvin. I've got a frettless LB75 in MM/J setup that was my main bass for years before I got back the 4-string passive plus tubes obsession. Great build quality that really shines when you're talking about the extra degree of precision that benefits a frettless, especially in the area of frettless fingerboards. Carvin ebony boards are great to play on.

8. khutch

khutch Praise Harp

Aug 20, 2011
    suburban Chicago
    Ibanez just recently announced the SR375F fretless. It has just started shipping to dealers but some may have it in stock already.

Ken

9. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Look at Carvin. Lots on models but not in your price range. They are good work horse instrument with poor resale value. Still great bang for the buck.

10. fisticuffs

fisticuffs Commercial User

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    The SR375F just showed up last week and I may buy the 4-string that's on the way. I usually don't like the feel of a 5-string but the Ibanez neck on the SR's is slim enough I almost considered it. I'm not a huge fan of the color but it played great right out of the box.