1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a funky MM replacement pickup.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Jan 17, 2012.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    A couple of months ago, I rescued a Fernades Vertigo bass off Ebay. I put a bunch of work into it: re-fret, new nut, shielding, etc., but the original pickup isn't doing it for me. It's a MM style humbucker, but it's got a different shape than most I've seen, and I can't seem to find a replacement for it. Here's a similar bass where you can see the shape of the pickup:

[​IMG]

The trouble with the pickup is two-fold: it's too dark, and too hot. I would rewind the pickup myself, but it's epoxied into it's housing and won't come out without a lot of work. I'm wondering if there's a similar replacement out there that would fit without having to route the bass. Any suggestions?

2. funkyjudge

funkyjudge Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2010
    Langhorne, PA, USA
  3. seedokebass

seedokebass

Mar 21, 2009
    Minnesota
    Could you modify a regular MM pickup housing to fit in that space?

4. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Does the pickup come out of the cover? Or is it epoxied in?

5. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    It's epoxied in - otherwise I would have just re-wound it. I could modify the bass to fit any pickup I want, but I'm cooling on the bass a little bit and I'm not sure if I'd want to mod it further.

6. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Banned Commercial User

Aug 21, 2008
    Bloomfield, NJ
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    It's a cool looking bass. I doubt you will find anything in that exact shape. You'd probably have to have something custom made.