1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a fuzz

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by adece, Jul 3, 2014.

1. adece

adece

Sep 24, 2013
    Lima, Peru
    I'm looking for a fuzz (duh!): I already have an MXR M80 and a Mooer Hustle Drive but I need some fuzz tones.

I'd like something that is versatile so it should be able to handle low gain and high with good tones. Probably asking for too much here but it would be great if it could be intuitive so I don't have to scratch my head whenever I want different sounds from it. Blend control is also important.

And here I start to ask for too much: it should sound good in the smallest combo amp or the largest head and cab configuration.

So far I'm considering:
    Wren and Cuff Pickle Pie B
    Wren and Cuff Tall Font Russian
    small sound/big sound Team Awesome! Fuzz Machine

Or, is there any other suggestion that doesn't break the bank?

2. bassmusic17

bassmusic17

Jan 15, 2011
    Any of those you mentioned would be good options. I think the only one you mentioned that has a true clean bend is the TAFM. You can't go wrong with that fuzz, the wren and cuffs give the illusion of a clean blend but I don't believe they are actually blending your clean tone with the fuzz circuit. Don't quote me on that. So I think your search may have just ended. Unless you are looking for something more specific.

3. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    blackout musket the mids knob is amazing go check that out

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  4. adece

adece

Sep 24, 2013
    Lima, Peru
    Thanks. I've only seen videos of the pedals. I was almost set for the TAFM but I needed a little bit of reassurement on it.

I'm a bit of a control freak and need a lot of knobs on my pedals. Like I said I need something that can do a lot of different sounds in high and low gain. Just wanted to know what else is out there.

I had checked that out but I will need to listen to more demos from it. I forgot about it when I wrote this.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    DMB Bumble. Has a clean blend and has more bottom end than any fuzz I've ever had...including the TAFM and Tall Font Russian. Sounds equally fantastic on my small combo amp and my GK 6x10 rig.

6. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I've owned all 3 of those. Both W&Cs sounded great, but I didn't keep them for more than a few days. I will be buried with my TAFM! If you try one, my best bit of advice is plug a passive bass directly into it, and if you have the newer vertical style layout, open it up and flip the dip switches to turn off the internal buffer (which is switched on by default). There's a thread around here somewhere that I started detailing the settings for this (it's more complicated than you'd think, requiring multiple switches in combination). The effect this has is to roll the high end off the clean signal, and make the fuzz more vintage/organic/bloomy/awesome.

That said, the TFR is an awesome pedal still, probably the best muff clone I've tried. It can come with a clean blend but I reckon the wet and dry are out of phase, rendering the blend useless, so I would just get the regular one. I don't recall the Pickle Pie B suffering from the same issue but then again at the time I might not have been listening out for it.

blindrabbit likes this.
  7. I had a W&C TFR (still miss it, will have another someday), and I do have a TAFM, which will never leave my board. It is a very flexible fuzz, and sounds great at low and high gain. I actually run mine at a relatively lower gain and use it as a heavy overdrive of sorts, and then when I stomp on the gate switch BOOM I have an amazingly nasty fuzz sound. It is like two pedals in one. I'm sure I'll get other fuzzes in the future, as one can never have too much dirt, but this one is staying, and I think it is probably the best choice for someone who wants to have one versatile and excellent sounding pedal.

ss/bs and W&C are two of the best pedal makers out there, great guys both (Brian and Matt). Really, you can't go wrong here in choosing one of those three.