1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for a good £200 -£300 combo amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Metal Bassist, May 17, 2011.

1. Metal Bassist

Metal Bassist

Nov 6, 2010
    Wales, UK
    I am looking for a quality amp in that price range, I may start to gig soon, but I'm not in a working band at the moment so that is a low priority. I would like it powerful enough to work with a drummer and quite versatile, It looks like I will be playing mainly metal in the near future but I have no plans to only play metal.
    The catch is that I need a good headphone output, and I would like some built in effects, but that isn't too important so long as I have some way to have a nice distortion at low volumes, or there is enough money spare to buy a good distortion pedal.
    I have looked at line 6 but I feel I won't use most of the options.

So can I have advice on what to look for and the pros and cons of different amps. Thanks in advance.

2. Ashdown can be found pretty cheap in the UK, for that £300 you could grab yourself a Used Ashdown MAG300 combo and a Tech21 VTBass pedal. The VTbass will give you sweet ampeg-like tones and overdrive and the Ashdown is pretty powerfull.

I had a Mag300 for a long time (the 115 combo) and it was always as powerful as i needed it to be, even more so when I added an extra cab.

3. Metal Bassist

Metal Bassist

Nov 6, 2010
    Wales, UK
    It must be well used then, I'm searching the web and the cheapest I can find is just under £270, and new the pedal is over £100. I'd like a 4 band eq so I can shape the low and high mids independently. Will I need to increase my budget to get a good quality amp that will last me?

4. Metal Bassist

Metal Bassist

Nov 6, 2010
    Wales, UK
    I could increase it up to a grand, but that is really digging into my savings, anything about £300 must be worth it.