1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

looking for a good 100W amp for under $300

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ghostjs, Mar 23, 2009.

1. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    i dont really care for effects but it must have:

-Gain control
    - 15" speaker
    - able to hook a cab to it (really important)
    - atleast 100W
    - maybe a compressor control?

ive looked around and found the Acoustic B100 but it doesnt have a compressor control but the Ultrabass BX1800 combo amp has a compressor but i dunno if it will hook another cab to it...

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    You're asking a lot out of a combo for $300.

3. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    honestly, the Acoustic will likely be your best bet.

but the question is still... do you like how it sounds?
    tone trumps all.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ya, and if a combo has those options you're looking for and only costs $300, the likelihood of the tone being good is low.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 to that. And, built in compressors usually suck. A comp built in to a Behringer amp would suck even more. Stay away from the B amp. With such a low budget, I'd lower your demands a bit, too.

6. mitchjonbass

mitchjonbass Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2008
    Hudson,WI
    for small to medium gigs i use a roland cube100..100 watts 12inch spkr, line out if needed and compression..works great for me, cuts through the band just fine...for larger shows i use my svt 3 pro> 610 cab...but the cube is def a keeper..

7. Wes Whitmore

Wes Whitmore

Mar 10, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    I liked the fender combo I heard today at GC. It was $250 with a 15" and tweeter. 100 watts. Maybe it was a rumble 100. It also had free lights that dance to the music. Regardless if you like ithe lights or not, it was small and light, and sounded pretty good for the price.
    Wes

8. ghostjs

ghostjs

Aug 14, 2008
    ghostjs
    Unofficially Endorsing: D'Addario, Lakland
    hmm.. well right now i do like the Acoustic... but i played a Peavey amp (65 watts) and it had a great tone for the stingray i played it through... but i dunno yet...

9. look used. you might be able to find something in your price range on craigslist, or check music shops in your area that carry used gear.

10. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:

Find a used Ampeg B100R.
    You may have to pay a little more than $300.
    But, there worth it.