Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a good 2 x 12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ADbassman, Jan 12, 2005.

1. As the title suggests, I'm looking for a new 2 x 12 inch cab, two preferriably (Although that does seem to be the current trend). I've been looking everywhere and nothing really jumps out at me. The deal is, I'm one of those poor teenage bassists that doesn't have that large of an income, so the cheaper the better, but that doesn't mean to skip on quality. I'd prefer to buy new, but I suppose I could go used if I need to. Basically what I'm looking for is:

-High RMS Wattage Rating (Between 600 and 1000 watts or so)
    -Deep low end that could shake a room good
    -Something that cuts through the mix well
    -Something not too heavy
    -Something not too bulky
    -Something not terribly expensive, I'll put that cap at say, $600 (Per cab)
    -A brand with good customer service
    -Something I'll be happy with for a while with good reliability
    -Something with style (Although optional, obviously)

Two cabs that I've been looking at are the Avatar 2 x 12, and the new Gallien-Krueger Neo 2 x 12. I havn't heard very good things about the GK, something about it not having that great of a low end.

I'm hoping you all could give me a few recommendations and show me what my options might be. Thank you everybody for your help in advance.

2. dont

dont

Jul 25, 2004
    dontwyman@lycos.com
    A Genz-Benz NeoX212 will cost you about $600 discounted and will rock your world.

3. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    You can find Aguilar GS212's for under $600 new at some online retailers. I think it fits your criteria pretty well, though I can't really judge what you would consider heavy and bulky. ;) I don't have any trouble hauling mine around.

4. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I was looking for 2x12s as well, Agi vs Epifani maybe? Something from punk, ska to nice fat bass too. I'm not a big fan of the Eden myself, how about the discontinued BigFoot 2x12, I've seen a few of them cheap but have never tried them. 600 is a hard price range for that cab especially new because they are usually higher end company cabs.

5. main_sale

main_sale

Apr 26, 2004
    Cape Cod
    +1 for the Genz Benz NeoX 212T. I'm very happy with mine!

6. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    Another vote for that cab.
    If you can find one I really like the older epifani 212 (side by side). That cab is loud and deep. Sells for about $500-$600 used.

7. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Sounds like Avatar, there....

Might be in Schroeder 1212 territory, now. Only thing, I think they're 4-ohm only....

8. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Avatar. Buy two for a little over 600.00

9. firstbassman

firstbassman Apples & Dirges

Sep 6, 2004
    NYC/Northern NJ
    Dr. Bass. (http://www.drbasscabs.com/) You can get an RX series 2x12 for $300. Marc's a bit backed up these days, but I have a 2x12 on order from him that I can't wait to try. He coats them with a polymer coating of some sort that's like the lining of truck beds, not with (as he calls it) "rat fur".

Personally, I went back and forth between Dr. Bass and Avatar before going with Dr. Bass - both have gotten really good press here. From what I've heard, you can't go wrong with either.

10. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    I would suggest you at least consider the Carvin BRX12 in the mix. The BRX series cabs not the same as the old Redline cabs, they're much more serious. I can't vouch for them personally, but I've heard good word of mouth, and they are returnable in 10 days if you don't like 'em. They are somewhat heavy, though, and as with any long-distance purchase, you do take a chance by not being able to play them first.

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=BRX12&CID=BA

11. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    My solution to that problem was to buy two Euphonic CXL112's. Turns out most of the gigs I play only need one cab and two (with my iamp800 and Mod Q5) can knock down walls.

12. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
  13. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    If you are even slightly handy with woodworking, I'd suggest building one. A lot of people gripe about how it's not cost effective, but there are several people on Talkbass (myself included) with real world experience to the contrary.

14. Wow, thanks for all the help on this one. All valid suggestions on everybodys part. I did look into the Schroeder 1212, looks pretty nice and I've seen nothing buy praise towards them, jorg must really put out a good product.

After looking over my power amp, I noticed it does do 600 watts per side at 4 ohms. This seems like a good wattage for one of those Schroeder, and at 48 pounds, plus the size of the cabinet, you can't beat that. Whats the deal with the weight on those cabs, does anybody know if he uses Neo drivers or magic fairy dust to make them lighter.

I was considering the avatars, but with their size, I imagine I'd get tired of hauling around 2 2 x 12s the size and weight of my 4 x 10. If I'm getting a new cab I might as well put a good investment into it and make sure I get a quality product.

Dr. Bass was also a very interesting cabinet, I've talked to the guy who makes them, forget his name. Hes a really nice guy and will do pretty much anything for the customer. I'm not too crazy about his cabinets though.

Of the higher end cabs, I did consider Aguilar and Epifani. Both very good cabs in their own right, but just seem a little expensive for what they are. I've heard stories of people getting the new Schroeders and saying how much better they are than the two mentioned above.

I'll be saving up my money for a little while, so I'll have a couple months to decide. Thanks everybody for your support.

15. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    i won't say that schroeders are better than epifani's or aguilar's, but damn they are good. as far as the wieght thing they are very light, but his enclosures are also very small for the number of drivers they contain. (no neo's yet) it's not magic but get one and you'll think it is. also will your amp bridge to 4 ohms? 600 watts would be killer, hovewer, don't be scared to give it more juice. i've got a crown ce2000 (2000 watts at 4 ohms bridged) on my schroeder (21012) and it's just sick how that cab takes power. (it is also very efficient -- loud!!) granted i dont crank it to the max but that cab has yet to fart out on me. my band plays waaay too loud.

16. Nah, my power amp is running 600 watts @ 4 ohms stereo, it can't bridge into 4 ohms, only 8 and 16.

I'm not trying to knock on Aguilar or Epifani, I've just heard rave reviews about the schroeders. It just seems like it would cater to my needs better.

What would you say about the value of the cab, like how impressed you were with your investment?

17. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    Hi!

I've got an original side by side Epifani 2x12. If you can find one used, grab it!

Rob

18. I would highly recommend trying a Gallien-Krueger Neo 2x12.
    Tone for days, and a weight of 63 pounds.

[​IMG]

19. Wow, that looks great. All this is making for a real tough choice. I'm gonna have to come down to playing some of these. I wonder if theres a dealer in the Saint Louis Area with the new GK Neo stuff. I seriously doubt there would be any way for me to try one of the schroeders unless somebody in the Saint Louis Area has one and is willing to let me try it.

20. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I 2nd that, that is one fine cab but I'm not a fan of the 8 ohm only idea. I'll check it out