1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a good 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Mar 12, 2003.

1. If you didn't read my stupid post before, I am looking for a good company to buy a 2x12 from, somthing teamed up with an Ampeg amp.:mad: :bassist:

2. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
  3. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
  4. I dunno it says it;s response is only down to 50hz, I would like something that can handle down to about 30hz:confused:

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Bergantino...........massive low end!

6. Tech Soundsystems, I just tried those at the musikmesse, they are great!

7. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Didn't Ampeg used to make a 2x12?

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    You're not going to find many bass cabs that actually go down to 30Hz (-3dB). Different manufacturers quote their specs differently (-3dB, -6dB, -10db, -?? dB), so cabs might be more similar than they look on paper in that regards.

A low B can sound fine without much response at 31Hz - depends on other aspects of the cab - this makes sense as many cabs that rolloff above there still sound very good. Acme cabs have the real thing down there, but aren't efficient at all, and while I find the addition of the fundamental nice, it's not necessary (hence my main cabs are EAs).

Though I'd definitely go with the Delta-12 loaded Avatar. The Kappa on rolls off at 87Hz, yuck.

9. specs can be a whole lotta voodoo and many manufacturers seem to enjoy "embellishing" the facts somewhat. Most cabs stated low end response will be at a -3dB rating. I wouldn't personally go for a full range cab that bottomed out at 50Hz but most folks probably couldn't hear the diff. The classic SVT 8X10 is only good above 80Hz I think?? Psycho-acoustic phenomona and all that. Those EB-MM HD212's are -3dB at 40Hz and handle my B string admirablly. I love 'em.

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    That's what the story I've heard is - though somebody (PBG?) stated that it's really not true and sort of a myth. Either way, the SVT is a bit unique since it's a sealed design, the rolloff is shallower.

11. Matthias

Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Yes, the PR 212 (pro series cab) - heavy and expensive, don't know if they still make them.

But I've heard good things about the new Portabass 212.

I have a Glockenklang 212 I'm very happy with. But while you can get this at a very competitive price in the EU, it is rather overpriced in the US I think.

Matthias

12. I have a Bergantino HT-212 for sale. $700.00
    Hardly used.

http://www.bergantino.com

Model HT212 specifications:
    • 2-12" cast frame woofers w/ 80oz. magnets, vented pole pieces and 3" voice coils
    • high intelligibility tweeter with cast horn
    • power handling - 700 watts rms
    • custom phase - coherent crossover with tweeter level control
    • frequency response: 36hz - 18khz
    • sensitivity: 102db • anechoic: 2.83v/1m
    • impedance: 4 ohms
    • dimensions: 25-1/2"H x 22-3/4"W x 18"D
    • removable casters
    • weight: 85lbs.
    • Price: $1,259.00 List price.

13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I also recommend the Bergantino HT-212. Absolutely amazing cab, especially if you like lows.

Yep... not long ago I repeated the "SVT 8x10 can't go below 60Hz" thing and was corrected by PsychoBassGuy, who said he actually tone-tested his SVT cabs and they went below 40Hz.

14. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've been in love with the Epifani T-212 for a while now. Sounds truly great by itself in small to medium-sized rooms with the right amplification in front of it.

15. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    boogiebass...

Please define "the right amplification"...

Back in '99 after not playing bass for nearly 17 years, I heard my first modern bass cabinet when I visited Lakland in Chicago. It was an Epifani 212.

I was floored by it's low end girth...having been used to '70s era 2x15s. I've never looked into actually getting such a cabinet because the price tag always scared me away...(the most I've ever paid for a cabinet was $400...a used Ampeg 8x10...which I sold a year and a half later for $500).

I guess I'm more of a gourmand rather than a gourmet when it comes to bass cabinets...I have 7 (4 that I've built) and probably have under $800 in the whole pile.

16. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    1K or more watts.

17. Aguilar makes a great-sounding 2x12 for a bit less money than Bergantino or Epifani.

18. MiniMic

MiniMic

Sep 29, 2001
    Syracuse NY
    Yes, Unfortunately Ampeg stopped making the PR-212H only after 2 yrs. I bought one in 1999 along with a B2R head. There's is no venue in Central NY that is too big for this rig. I only add a single JBL E-140 when playing outdoor gigs. I got to meet Nick Epifani last fall in NYC he is a great guy I played one of his new style 2x12's and it was a real thumper. Check it out

19. BTW, only the old, shallow, SVT 8x10 cabs have the extended lows. The wheeled, roll-bar cabs roll off steeply at around 50 Hz.