Looking for a good 2x12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bryan bailey, Mar 12, 2003.

1. If you didn't read my stupid post before, I am looking for a good company to buy a 2x12 from, somthing teamed up with an Ampeg amp.:mad: :bassist:
  2. bill h

bill h

Aug 31, 2002
    small town MN
  3. I dunno it says it;s response is only down to 50hz, I would like something that can handle down to about 30hz:confused:
  4. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Bergantino...........massive low end!
  5. Tech Soundsystems, I just tried those at the musikmesse, they are great!
  6. ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    Didn't Ampeg used to make a 2x12?
  7. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    You're not going to find many bass cabs that actually go down to 30Hz (-3dB). Different manufacturers quote their specs differently (-3dB, -6dB, -10db, -?? dB), so cabs might be more similar than they look on paper in that regards.

A low B can sound fine without much response at 31Hz - depends on other aspects of the cab - this makes sense as many cabs that rolloff above there still sound very good. Acme cabs have the real thing down there, but aren't efficient at all, and while I find the addition of the fundamental nice, it's not necessary (hence my main cabs are EAs).

Though I'd definitely go with the Delta-12 loaded Avatar. The Kappa on rolls off at 87Hz, yuck.
  8. specs can be a whole lotta voodoo and many manufacturers seem to enjoy "embellishing" the facts somewhat. Most cabs stated low end response will be at a -3dB rating. I wouldn't personally go for a full range cab that bottomed out at 50Hz but most folks probably couldn't hear the diff. The classic SVT 8X10 is only good above 80Hz I think?? Psycho-acoustic phenomona and all that. Those EB-MM HD212's are -3dB at 40Hz and handle my B string admirablly. I love 'em.
  9. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    That's what the story I've heard is - though somebody (PBG?) stated that it's really not true and sort of a myth. Either way, the SVT is a bit unique since it's a sealed design, the rolloff is shallower.
  10. Matthias

May 30, 2000
    Vienna, Austria
    Yes, the PR 212 (pro series cab) - heavy and expensive, don't know if they still make them.

But I've heard good things about the new Portabass 212.

I have a Glockenklang 212 I'm very happy with. But while you can get this at a very competitive price in the EU, it is rather overpriced in the US I think.

11. I have a Bergantino HT-212 for sale. $700.00
    Hardly used.

Model HT212 specifications:
    • 2-12" cast frame woofers w/ 80oz. magnets, vented pole pieces and 3" voice coils
    • high intelligibility tweeter with cast horn
    • power handling - 700 watts rms
    • custom phase - coherent crossover with tweeter level control
    • frequency response: 36hz - 18khz
    • sensitivity: 102db • anechoic: 2.83v/1m
    • impedance: 4 ohms
    • dimensions: 25-1/2"H x 22-3/4"W x 18"D
    • removable casters
    • weight: 85lbs.
    • Price: $1,259.00 List price.
  12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I also recommend the Bergantino HT-212. Absolutely amazing cab, especially if you like lows.

Yep... not long ago I repeated the "SVT 8x10 can't go below 60Hz" thing and was corrected by PsychoBassGuy, who said he actually tone-tested his SVT cabs and they went below 40Hz.
  13. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I've been in love with the Epifani T-212 for a while now. Sounds truly great by itself in small to medium-sized rooms with the right amplification in front of it.
  14. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000

Please define "the right amplification"...

Back in '99 after not playing bass for nearly 17 years, I heard my first modern bass cabinet when I visited Lakland in Chicago. It was an Epifani 212.

I was floored by it's low end girth...having been used to '70s era 2x15s. I've never looked into actually getting such a cabinet because the price tag always scared me away...(the most I've ever paid for a cabinet was $400...a used Ampeg 8x10...which I sold a year and a half later for $500).

I guess I'm more of a gourmand rather than a gourmet when it comes to bass cabinets...I have 7 (4 that I've built) and probably have under $800 in the whole pile.
  15. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    1K or more watts.
  16. Aguilar makes a great-sounding 2x12 for a bit less money than Bergantino or Epifani.
  17. MiniMic

Sep 29, 2001
    Syracuse NY
    Yes, Unfortunately Ampeg stopped making the PR-212H only after 2 yrs. I bought one in 1999 along with a B2R head. There's is no venue in Central NY that is too big for this rig. I only add a single JBL E-140 when playing outdoor gigs. I got to meet Nick Epifani last fall in NYC he is a great guy I played one of his new style 2x12's and it was a real thumper. Check it out
  18. BTW, only the old, shallow, SVT 8x10 cabs have the extended lows. The wheeled, roll-bar cabs roll off steeply at around 50 Hz.