1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for a good 3 way PA Cab

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jive1, Nov 9, 2004.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I'm looking to upgrade the PA cabs we have. Currently we have JBLs JRX115s, but I think a three way system would better suit the vocals and such while still retaining the nice bass response of a 15".

Doing a search on the web I found a couple that will fit my price range. The Soundtech AST153 is a decent buy for around $225 each, but the Cerwin Vega PSX-153 look better for a little bit more (@ $300 ea).

The EA stuff looks great, but they're pretty heavy as well as expensive. Other than that, I don't know who else makes 3-way PA cabs.

If anyone has any ideas or advice, I'm all ears

2. I use Peavey SP3G's for my main FOH cabs. They sound OK, but they are heavy. (The most recent version--the SP3X--is basically the same speaker but they've added a Speakon connection.) They weigh about 95 lbs per speaker. 15" Black widow, 8" (?) mid, and a horn. Handles 350 watts apiece, 8 ohms. F3 is around 50 hz IIRC. Cost is around $1000 a pair. These can be biamped.

Note: do NOT confuse these with the early SP3, those were only 2 way cabs.

I also listened to the JBL 935's. Actually I wish I had bought the 935's--they had more bass response...but they were about $400 more for the pair and cash was too tight. The JBL's were very good 3 ways, though they could not be biamped IIRC.

3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Decent 3 way cabs will cost you some bucks. The most affordable that sound decent are Peavey's or the JBL's.

4. Go with the CV. Cerwin Vega has, IMHO, a great reputation for sound and quality. Just kinda hard to get a hold of.

My concert hall just got a couple of JBL 3-ways, and they sound just fine. DEFINITE improvement over the EON powered 15s that they replaced.

Rock on
    Eric