Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a good 5 string

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kris pung, Jul 28, 2003.

1. kris pung

kris pung

Jul 25, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    I ‘m looking for a new 5 string, I would like to stay under $1500 and that can hopefully fulfill most of these requirements.

1. Have a big “B”
    2. Be able to cut through the mix
    3. Solid construction were I can really did into 4. Good and tight string tension
    5. Generous string space
    6. Fast action w/ good articulation

I currently have a Yamaha RBX765A which has a great feel, but it picks up a lot of fret noise and the “B” string is way too weak. Of course when it comes time to buy I will play as many basses as possible, I’m just trying to narrow down the search.

2. Harpo

Harpo

Feb 1, 2001
    Kings Park NY
    Stingray5 with out a doubt

3. Music Man Stingray
    Lakland Skyline (55-02 or Joe Osborn sig)
    Peavey Cirrus
    G&L L2500
    Spector NS-5CRFM

there is tons of nice stuff out there, look around a lot and play everthing you can.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Peavey Cirrus.

If you can dig a used, Pedulla Rapture J2 or PJ.

Both of these basses have a serious B string, and are true world class instruments.

5. I'll have to vote for the Lakland Skyline 55-01. My friend has one. Nice tight B, wide string spacing, much wider than the Stingray 5, clear and articulate tone.

6. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Brooklyn, NY
    Give the Lakland Skyline series a try, I got a 55-01 and it's constructed very well and the sound is very versatile thanks to the 3-band eq. The B string is the best I've heard, even better than my new Stingray 5; which you should also give a look at. Try the Lakland Skyline 55-02 too.

Both basses are great in your price range and have very different styles, sound and neck spacing.

Hope this helped.

7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    [​IMG]

You've just described my Bevavente 51!!! :bassist:

[​IMG]

[Edit] oh yeah, I know of 2 black ones selling under your mark (I'm seriously thinking of grabbing one of them)[/Edit]

8. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    in that price range, i would say Peavey Cirrus or Lakland Skyline 55-01 or 55-02

i'm not too familiar with the yamaha rbx765a, maybe the EQ tends to pick up a lot of fret noise or something, but i always thought that issue was due to a combination of bass setup (action, neck relief, nut cut, type of strings, etc.) and technique... ?

9. ghetto911

ghetto911

Jan 28, 2003
    Spokane, WA
    I personally would recommend a Stingray 5. It fits your description perfectly, except that the string spacing is considered tight by most people. Maybe I'm weird, but I really think it's fine. Either way, it definitely cuts through the mix. Oh, and now that I think about it, a G&L L2500 might be another good idea. I think they have wider spacing than a Ray, and they are dead sexy. Try them both out.

10. superphat

superphat

Sep 30, 2001
    neither Musicman nor G&L offer "generous string space" IMO.

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Ding. I'm not so sure about the Cirrus as well.

12. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That's the one drawback, and I missed that part of his post. The Cirrus is a hair wider than a 'Ray, and does have adjustable spacing at the bridge, but it can't get as wide as a Lakland. Or a Pedulla with the wide spacing option.

13. lol...my l2500 feels comfy, it has enough space for me, and I have big hands...just play the ones we all recommend, they all are really good 5ers. Tell us what you think of them.

14. You just described my Dingwall Afterburner.

Possibly the best "B" string available (Novax fanned fretboard 37"B-32"G scale). Equipped w/ FD-1 Dingwall pickups these basses cut thru the mix, are incredibly playable with super fast necks.
    A few were on Ebay 2 weeks ago and went for $1200-1400
    frank

15. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    +1 to the Lakland

I just played a 55-02 and a Joe Osborne Skyline 5

3/4" string spacing at the bridge (big plus for me). Nice B string. Excellent tone and construction.

16. Cameron Mc

Cameron Mc

Jan 20, 2003
    Roanoke, VA
    Roscoe Guitars-Benavente & LowEnd Basses-SIT Strings-Schroeder Cabs
    ive got a 5-string quilt top tiger eye cirrus thats in superb condition

17. I have a Fender American Deluxe V and I love it. But still I am looking for a new bass. One that matches your description. I have come across two that I am in love with and will have to choose between

A MM Stingray 5

and a Warrior Studio 5 string

I'll most likely go with the Stingray due to price and availability.

B

18. Poon

Poon

May 20, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    1.) Peavey Cirrus 5 (I have two of them, so I love em)

2.) EB MM Stingray 5 (great bass, owned a 4 eventually want to get a 5)

3.) Spector Czech Made 5 String. REBOP-5. Great Bass. Poor man's Fodera in terms of tone. IMO

Take my advice or don't...
    GOOD LUCK.

-P