Looking for a good amp, and am hopelessly lost

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CodeYbassboy, May 27, 2005.

1. I have a short list of amps that I want to audition, but I live in the boondocks and the only store around me is the East Coast Music Mall, and they haven't had much bass gear lately.
    Eventually, I'll bite the bullet and take the train into NYC, but the NY music store guys are always so rude.
    Anyway, if you could offer me some suggestions, that would rock. I'm looking for a nice chunky hard rock tone, headroom isn't really an issue, because I like it when the amp breaks up a little bit, reliability is also a biggie for me, I'm clumsy and I don't take as good care of my gear as I should.

Sunn 300T/Fender Bassman
    The Fender version is pricey, and the Sunn is hard to find. It also weights 80lbs. However, it seems like the bees knees for tube sound.

Ashdown EVO
    They seem like they have a nice reputation, I mean, I've heard some nice stuff about them. I've also heard that they have some reliablility issues.

Kustom Groovebass 1200
    Seems like a favorite on this site. It fits in my rack case, which is nice, its also prety cheap. In some totally snobby way, the price makes me wary. Looks robust and reliable. I'm most curious as to how this amp sounds, if someone could post soundclips, they'd be the Jesus of awesome.

I'm sure any of these amps would be several steps up from my Hartke 3500.

Thank you,
    -Dave Lowe
  2. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Well, I don't have any clips, but I can tell you as one who had a Hartke HA1400, HA3500 and a HA7000 (and MANY other heads) that this blows away the Hartke. I play mostly rock (both classic and modern). Tone is unreal. Tons of headroom, features, looks, feels VERY solid, etc. The only head that I've had in the past that the tone approached this thing was my Trace. Ignore the price tag and go for it as it's a solid choice. You won't be sorry. Take the left over money and go GAS on something else!
  3. Not meaning to hijack this post,but....

Hey Quad did you get your new bass yet?
    How's it sound through the Kustom?

Awesome I bet....

4. Quadzilla

*Thread Hi-Jack Switch = On*

Sure did. The bass is SICK and sounds awesome thru the Groove Bass / Avatar rig. The Bartolini pickups and pre-amp are sooo sweet. Review is here --> LeCompte ST-5 Review

On a side note, met up with Brad Johnson and Kevin Brubaker (from Brubaker Guitars) yesterday. I toured his workshop, took notes and shot photos. I'll be uploading that in the next day or so. Kevin and Brad checked out my LeCompte and were impressed. Kevin makes some REAL SICK basses!!!!

*Thread Hi-Jack Switch = Off*

5. Very cool....
    Good to hear...
    And Congrats on a sweet bass.
  6. hi-jacked that is.
    etc etc etc
  7. Quadzilla

Sorry man. Back to the topic at hand. It's real simple:
    By the Groove Bass, sound great, save a few bucks. be happy!!!
  8. ricosuave2093

Jun 9, 2005
    Hey Guys ordering my Kustom tommorrow. Just one question how does this amp do at low volume say practice in the house and such? Thanks.
  9. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
  10. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The Sunn is an absolutely killer amp, sounds better than the SVT-CL, has more features, and is cheaper. The weight isn't a huge issue because the handles are extremely well placed.

If you haven't considered the Traynor YBA200 though, I think you should. Only 40 lbs, 200 watts, killer sound (matching cab is kinda weak though). Alot of people get fantastic sounds out of them after they swap out the preamp tubes, and even better once the power tubes are swapped as well. Check it out. rockcityguitars.com has them for $579, which is the lowest price i've seen anywhere.
  11. My vote's for Ashdown. Best sounding amp I've ever heard, though they're my ears so you should probably try all three before you buy.

FWIW, I haven't had any problems with my (much cheaper) Ashdown MAG300 which I've been gigging with for the last six months. It's been dropped several times but keeps on trucking.