Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a good bass between $5-$800

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassfreako, Oct 7, 2005.

1. bassfreako

bassfreako

Apr 22, 2005
    I how this sounds but I looking for the most bang for the buck bass for less than $1000-preferably less than $800 new. Any suggestions??

2. johans

johans G.U.I - Groovin' under influence

Oct 28, 2004
    the Bay Area, CA
    you're too vague :)

strings?
    construction (NT. BO, SN)?
    any preferred brand?
    finish (natural, polish)?
    weight?

3. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

You might add:

Styles you play?

Pickups?

4. ladros2

ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    Ireland
    Electronics?
    Versatility?
    Scale?
    Do you need 24 frets?

Lots to decide.

5. I'm sorry there are no longer any basses available meeting your demanding search criteria.

You now have to choose between Rondo, Daisy Rock, and Sadowsky.

two are a couple hundred and one a couple thousand. Sorry.

Day late, dollar short. :smug:

6. I would reccomend a Godin. They are awesome basses, made in La Patrie, Quebec and assembled in New Hampshire. IMO, they offer the best bang for the buck. You can find one used for a really good price, or get a new Freeway for $450-ish (?). For that price, you will get a bass that plays better than everything Fender, save the high-end USA guys. The electronics are nothing special (REALLY hot stock pickups), but I can't say enough good about how well the play and feel. Just my 2 cents.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Godin are great,

I would suggest used made in japan fender as well.

8. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    You can get a used MIA Fender for that.

Though I am very curious about the Godins.

9. Yes, but Fenders have no uniqueness. I, personally, am enough of a contrarian that I wouldn't play something just because it's the standard (maybe due to my upbringing using a Mac rather than a PC!). Check out the Godin's though, Snarf (godinguitars.com has some info and a dealer finder). IMO they're better than most Fenders I've played, for substantially cheaper.

10. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Lakland 44-01/55-01

11. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    This is true. And to further distinguish myself from the herd, I have a toaster shaped like a tropical lagoon.

12. And I travel by hot air balloon. You should see the looks on peoples' faces...

13. Out of curiousity I went to that site, and I couldn't find anything on basses there, it was just gggguitar stuff. So, if you have another link to where bass things are more easily found that would be appreciated.

14. Rene

Rene

Mar 8, 2004
    Canada
    Look what you can have for this price range. Luthier bass , Bartolini passive pickups, neck through body, flame maple top etc.... etc.... Not a brand name and not known but two dam good basses!

15. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I don't believe you're going to find a good bass for $5.

16. I agree, it is a really confusing site. Godin (now) only makes one line of bass (well, to be technical, two), which is kind of buried on their website. You can find it at http://www.godinguitars.com/godinperfseriesp.htm . But if you can find a used Godin (there's a BG-5 on ebay, search for "Godin Bass") try it out. They might not be for everyone, but everybody (literally) who I've seen online/talked in person to raves about how good they are. The dealer listing is at: http://www.godinguitars.com/dealerlist.htm

17. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Yes, my US Hamer Cruise Bass Jazz with the 2-TEK Bridge for $500.00.

Hamer Cruise

All the other basses people are recommending are crap. ;)

Other than that, a used Fender US Jazz can be had for $500.00 - $600.00. How about a MM Stingray? I saw a couple of them for $700.00 on ebay.

Peavey Cirrus basses kick ass as well as many Warwicks like the Corvette, Pro-M, Thumb Bolt-On.