Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a good bass that produces a thick sound.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dox, Aug 18, 2000.

1. Dox

Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    OK. I have tooken some advice from the board (I forgot your name you guys but thanks sooo much.) I have decided to upgrade everything. I have already posted about good amps, and strings, Now I want to know what kind of bass I should get. I want one that is know for sending out some low thick sound. Like thunder. I want it to be a 5-string... I really don't want a Gibson cause there reverse bodies get on my nerves. I don't like the way Ibanez really looks but if it has the sound I need I am willing to try it. The weight of it doesn't bother me... I could probably adjust to that ocer time... I really need something with 22 or 24 frets. So any suggestions with any bass and how much the usually cost would be appreciated.. And if you know what kind of amp and strings would most likely provide me with a thicker sound? I know each thing act differantly with another but I would appreciate a starting area to look at. Thank you.

2. frost13

frost13

Apr 12, 2000
    Try a Schecter AB5.....at just under $600. A great looking bass that will also give you all the "thunder" you want.

3. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Dont limit the 'thick' sound to the bass; its a combination of bass, amp and you. Try the basses and amps flat. Its way easier to use a system that sounds great that way.

I have a HArkte 1415 and whilst its not loud enough for big gigs I like the sound of it flat. It works great with my Stingray 5 and Warwick 4.

I am not recommending any of this gear just that you try a lot of combinations.

Oh hello again and happy hunting.

4. Dox

Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    Yeah I already know it is the combination of bass, and amp that make the sound that is why I posted on teh amps board, an dalso strings for some good strings that could produce a thich sound. When I get a lot of responces I should have alist of things and then I could start to switch 'em around and experiment. And thanks again CS. ANd thanks to teh guy who suggested the Schector AB5.

5. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    My mid-90's Gibson Les Paul with Thomastik Jazz flats is a monster. Big-time body, thick as a brick, but with great clarity. It filled real well with my Eden 2x12 cab.

While they also made 5 string Les Pauls in the 90's (watch out, rumored to have neck problems) They've just come out with Epiphone versions of the Les Paul and EB-3L, both with five strings. My recent experience with Epiphone basses (EBM5, 2nd edition) was very good, well made (slightly weak electronics, typical of many Korean-made instruments) - they may be worth looking into.

6. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    If you want a thicker sound, just put a set of flats on your bass. Its a much cheaper solution. But flats are the way to go for thicker sounds. The Gibson wont work for you, because they all only have about 20 frets. Which i hate, and doesnt work for you. With my Modulus i can get a super super thick sound, but its also expensive, and i dont know how much you want to spend. I say just put a set of flats on. Try that, and if its not thick enough (which is sound be with the bass way up), then come back and ask about basses. I think it should work with any bass!

7. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    What exactly do you do in the area between fret 21 and 24?? I must admit, I've never missed it on 20 fret basses and never used that area on my 24 fret or fretless basses.

Too busy holding down the groove.

8. Dox

Dox

Aug 17, 2000
    Millville, New Jersey
    Well Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers goes down to the 21rst fret in quite a bit of his songs. And also In Cliff Burton's solo "Anesthesia" he does a couple hammer ons in that area.