Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for a good bass to buy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sammie09, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Sammie09

Sammie09

Apr 23, 2005
    Rigth now i have a squire j-bass, and i've been saving up(dont laugh, it takes a while for me to get money) so i've been looking for something that is a really great bass, like has good tone and so on. i was thinking a warwick ,but i've read that they are really heavy. Do you think i should go with a warwick and suck it up or what? I dunno, i just want a really good bass to play.

2. hondo8671

hondo8671

Apr 22, 2004
    did you like your squire?
    Try a usa fender Jazz! you can hear a big change!!! :hyper:

3. It takes me forever to save up money too. I'm not laughing. :ninja:

How much $$$ are you looking to spend?

4. Sammie09

Sammie09

Apr 23, 2005
    yeah, i like my squire, but its the only bass i've played.

the money? however much just not above 1200, im thinking,
    i've got like 300 and some odd change here and there, which means i've got a long way to go, but im willing to wait if its for a really good bass

5. warwicks aren't that bad (weight wise). they're heavy, but it's pretty evenly distributed across the bass, so it's not like the neck goes down while the body goes up. i would definitely say get a warwick if you've got the cash.

6. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Even a heavy bass can feel less heavy if it balances well. Some people have issues with Warwick balance, while others don't. The concave body and stubby upper horn of the Thumb bass lend itself well to playing strapped closer to chest height for slapping (the concave body won't crush your sternum like a slab can and the short upper horn won't poke you in the nipple.) The Corvette has a slightly longer upper horn for better balance. It's too bad Warwick doesn't use the Fortress shape on its German basses any more since that upper horn looks to have great balance. The Warwick Corvette DoubleBucks are getting pretty good reviews here thus far and those have swamp ash bodies (as opposed to bubinga, ovangkol, afzelia, flame maple) so they're likely lighter in weight than your average Warwick.

If you're not averse to buying used gear, you can get a used higher-end Warwick instead of a new lower-end Warwick. Warwick's thicker neck profiles are a love it/hate it affair too.

Another brand to consider is Spector, particularly the Euro models. The smaller, concave carved back, curved/figured body shape and offset rear strap button give those basses great balance. I quite like how Spector basses feel. If you look at spectorbass.com's artist page, quite a few female bassists like Spector.

Otherwise, try out as many basses as you can and see what you like best in terms of comfort/playability and tone. You may even find a bass much less than your $1200 budget that plays like a million bucks and is the bass that 'speaks' most to you. Like others said, if you like the feel of your Squire, try a US Jazz Bass. Or you can try one of the Japan-made basses like the Aerodyne or Geddy Lee Jazz bass. The Geddy Lee is half your $1200 budget and everyone I know who's played one thinks it's the bee's knees. I think one dude originally bought a Geddy as a backup bass to his Rickenbacker but ended up liking the Geddy much better and now IT became his main bass.

Either way, $1200 can get you a lot of bass, especially if you comb the used market (provided you're not averse to buying used.) Best of luck in the hunt for "your" bass.

7. Sammie09

Sammie09

Apr 23, 2005
    Spector? they look nice, how do they play? I'll probably drop by a music store sooner or later so i can try some basses out and all that good stuff. thanks for the advice

8. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    I have a Spector REX 4 and it is way sexy.

9. Sammie09

Sammie09

Apr 23, 2005

cool, okay, i have a couple questions. how does it play and how much did you pay for it?

10. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    I got the bass itself for around $700. I'm using Ernie Ball Hybrid strings (45-65-85-105) and I'm playing through a DBX 160X compressor, an Ashdown head, and an Avatar cab. With that configuration I can get a huge spectrum of sounds and tones.

Just from the bass however, there are 2 humbuckers -- the neck one sounding more like a P-bass and the bridge one sounding more jazzy. There are volume controls for both of these pickups so you can make it sound like one or the other or a thicker combination of both. In addition to this, the REX has built-in active EQ so you can adjust treble and bass levels right from the body of the guitar.

It is by far the LONGest and heaviest bass I have (I actually wound up buying a thicker and better padded strap because it was hurting my shoulder) but it also has the best sustain and clarity.. at least when compared to my Fender and Ibanez basses.

11. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I think Spector basses play great, are well made, and one can coax a wide variety of sounds from them. The feel can be a love it/hate it affair for some, though. I have relatively small hands for a guy my size and I found this one Spector Rebop I tried in a mom-&-pop store unbelievably smooth. If I were looking for a 4-string at the time, I'd have thrown down for it.

The Legend series can be had for under $1000, but for the $1200 budget, definitely try a Euro or Rebop (Rebop is the bolt on version.)

But then again, you aren't me so a bass I may think is the bees' knees you may think is as appealing as a bee sting.

But the point is that there are loads of options out there in every price range and even in the lower price brackets, you can get more bass for your buck than you could 10 years back.

Apologies if the staggering amount of options and all that is making your head spin, but I say better that than having to choose between a lesser of two evils and not being thrilled about either.

12. Check Basscentral.com. They have Rebop 5ers for 750. I got my 4 stringer of Musiciansfriend for 500 when they were put on clearance. For the money, Ive never payed a better bass, and they are very tonally flexible.