Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking for a good beginner's bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by stech, Sep 14, 2003.

1. stech

stech

Sep 13, 2003
    I am relatively new to bass, and i've been looking at many different kinds. Ive heard tons of good things about 'essex' basses, but i would like some real players input on it. ive been looking at the 'short scale' model, and the price is very appealing to me (99). are there better basses for me? i plan on upgrading later in teh future, but again, i dont have the cash to buy a nicer one now.

2. BoiNtC

BoiNtC

Nov 25, 2002
    NYC, USA
  3. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I personally recommend you get the best bass you can. I'm not sure what that would be for you since there is a wide price range out there, but having a great instrument can really be an inspiration to pick up and play. It makes a difference.

4. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    MIM Fender Jazz if you want a better resale value than an Essex ,, for when you get a new bass.

5. stech

stech

Sep 13, 2003
    ok. thanks a lot, so i think the general opinion is that a MIM fender would be better. but, what is a 'short scale' bass? does it play the same as a regular bass, and the neck is just shorter?

6. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    I actually think Ibanez makes a good starter bass. The new Peavey passive that was in bassplayer a month or so ago looked to be a nice starter bass as well.

I think ibanez's for beginner basses are nice. You can get them with active electronics for flexibility and 24 fret. There are some Ibanez models that I wouldn't suggest as well.

Check out the Peavey stuff too.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Short scale basses are usually 30 inches long if im not mistaken, and the neck is shorter, usually having 20 frets.

8. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Good advice! I've had quite a few students that had unplayable basses and guitars. Most never went any farther then a few lessons.

That said, I think the cheap stuff out of Rondo and the MIM Fenders are worlds above the sub $300 stuff I had access to in the 70's & 80's

stech: If the Rondo Short scale P is what you can afford, go for it. There are a few players here that like them. You may need to get it a pro set up, but that should be cheap enough too.

Scale is the length from nut to bridge. Fenders are normally 34", lots of 5+ string basses are 35" and most Gibson and some Alembics and others are 30 to 32".

Shorter = looser at pitch, as well as frets closer together.

but basically plays the same

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I would also recommend to try a Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic (or Classic). I know it costs more, but it is much better made and of higher quality. (my Ibanez SR300DX costed me just a little less back then, but this is way better - a pity they werent in production then). It has the same pickups and electronics as the hgh-end German-made ones, too

10. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I've got the SX short scale P. It is certainly worth $99 and would be a good bass to learn on, especially if you have small hands. If your hands aren't small, you might also want to consider one of the other SX models. Mine only needed a truss-rod tweak in terms of setup. IMO the average SX is a much better value than the average MIM Fender, if you are not worried about name recognition and resale value.

11. stech

stech

Sep 13, 2003
    allright guys, thanks a bunch. i just ordered a mim pbass from musicians friend, so i suppose im walking into an addiction, eh?

12. stech

stech

Sep 13, 2003
    and i had to sell some stuff to buy it. heh

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Cool! ;) it's a good start!

If you look around, there is a "Should every bassist own a P?" thread. It was the first, it is the standard!